Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys have any suggestions for the best way to clean vinyl seats, door panels and chrome trim?

Am in the process of having the old '71SS painted and tore the back seat, all of the wheel well moldings and door panels off the car. Would like to clean and shine all of this up before putting back on the car. Hoping you folks would have suggestions. Have heard some disparaging remarks about products like Armor-All.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dont know about the final part, but for chrome trim i use a product from Eagle One called Never Dull, it works pretty good
good luck

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Old detailers trick, triple ought steel wool and windex is tops for chrome. Also works great on cleaning glass, especially for water spots and bugs. The best window cleaner that I have found is a GM product available at the local dealer. Its a foaming type.

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold
1968 Chevelle
1991 Z/28
1970 El Camino

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If your door panels and seats need a good scub I suggest using a diluted mixture of Murphys oil soap and water followed up with a light buff of lemon pledge (pump bottle not spray)

------------------
PhilMullaly Member562 72camino TPI proj

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Good old soap and warm water does well for cleaning vinyl. I use baby oil to make it shine and smell purty.

------------------
Honey, its not a $200 hat. The distributor was $200, the hat came with it. kevin d
Maryland Chevelle Club #362
Classic Cars and Trucks of Beaufort #72

·
Registered
190 Posts
Best vinyl cleaner I've ever used is Tuff Stuff in the spray bottle. Want to get windshield absolutely clean, cut road film and all, I use the old scouring powder Bon-Ami. It is the only scouring powder that WILL NOT haze your glass due to micro-scratches. As far as I can tell, it's only good for outside where you can hose it off.

D

·
0 Posts
I have been a detailer for 18 years and most pro shops use an all purpose type cleaner. Look at you local auto parts store for some thing made for interiors and make sure it says it is ok for use on vinyl. Stay away from products like 409 they are too strong and can strip color and all sorts of things which is bad news.The best way to clean vinyl is like this:
1. Make sure you have a bucket of mild soapy water(Car wash soap is ok), a wash mit, a medium stiff nylon brush, the all purpose cleaner, and some clean dry towels.
2.Wipe the panel or seat from bottom to top with the wash mit first to get things wet, the reason for this is to keep the all purpose cleaner from streaking or making marks on the vinyl. It also helps delute the cleaner more evenly over the surface.
3. Spray the all purpose over the panel from bottom to top and scrub it with the brush, then towel dry the panel or seat. If you have an air compressor you can blow all the cracks and crevises out to get the dirt from under them which which really helps, especially in seams and around threaded work in seats.
4.When you are done use your favorite vinyl protectent as usual, This will help the next time you need to clean your vinyl and it will also help repell future dirt and stains. I hope this helps you if you have any problems let me know I always want to help whenever possible
5. As for the chrome the steel wool idea is your best bet. Glass cleaner is great, If you have any thing like road tar,paint over spray etc, a little lacquer thinner on the steel wool works good but be careful of all other surfaces.

------------------

·
Registered
54 Posts
I forgot to mention to wear eye protection when using the air hose. Lots of little stuff is hiding in the seams and under the threaded areas that you can't see and will fly out and hit you in the face.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts