Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I have a 1969 chevelle ss with a rebuilt 71 402. The engine is only 5000 miles, but the last owner really did some bad things to it (driver side, probably 8th cylinder rattles like a pinto) and car leaks oil because he over filled 2 quarts, it was 2 quarts over when i got it, and it leaks form the passenger side cylinder head.

well anyways, this is my problem. i was driving around freeway yesterday, going about 3000-4000 rpm at about 70-80mph, car suddenly loses power and my tach shakes it self up to 7000-8000 rpm, after a few second things returned to normal. that happened a few times. and the car acts as if its gonna die when that happen.

Today....
I started my car in the cold morning, let it run a few minutes before i start driving in the morning, after about 1 minute at idle the engine died, i started it back up and get going. the car was running fine until a stop sign, car stalled before i went to the stop sign (about 10-15mph at the time) the way the car stalled - the car mis fired or and sounded real bad, as the car stalls, and the tach shakes it self up. i started it back up, and try to make a u turn, car stalled again after i stopped at the stop sign, and i couldnt get it started since then. I have the auto gague meter, so when theres is no spark, it will point to shiftlite rpm, and it will point to the right rpm when theres spark. well, it pointed at the shiftlite rpm the whole time, so theres no spark...

any idea whats going on?

sorry for the long post, any help would be appericated.

thanks

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
HEI ignition? If so sounds like the module is going bad. If you have points, check them and all the connections to the coil.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, it has this black plastic box ontop of the distrubitor and a wire going to the coil, the wire going to the coil is not on the middle, so its hei, i am pretty sure he bought and installed the HEI msd kit, the one that came with msd 6al - coil blaster 2 and the hei thing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts