Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible to use a straight 12 volt car battery to test a basic car radio without damaging it. By testing, I mean:

Connect the radio's hot wire directly to the (+) terminal

Connect the radio's ground wire directly to the (-) terminal

then turn it on.

I haven't tried it yet, this is simply somethig that just popped into my head while sitting here at work. I see no reason why this shouldn't work. Has anyone here ever done this before?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have a radio that I bought real cheap from the Junk Yard and haven't tested it out yet. I'm gonna give this a shot when I get home.

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
There was another thread recently that said you needed to have a speaker hooked up or it would blow something in the radio. I don't know if that's just for old radios or the newer ones, but why take a chance?

BL

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Some battery chargers aren't regulated or filtered too well. Unless one knows for sure I'd use a battery or a regulated power supply.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Originally posted by Ark68SS:
There was another thread recently that said you needed to have a speaker hooked up or it would blow something in the radio. I don't know if that's just for old radios or the newer ones, but why take a chance?

BL
I read that thread too. My -69 radio even has a warning label on it, saying that you need to connect a so-and-so many ohms speaker before you turn it on. I think this is for older radios only, but better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Usually it requires an 8 ohm speaker, as most olderr speakers are. However, some newer ones are 4 ohms. Should be printed right on the back of the speaker. Hook it to the speaker leads, you can plug a length of primary wire into the antenna socket (make sure it only goes a 1/4 inch into the center hole of the jack) and then connect the battery (or a 12v power supply). If it's a good radio, you should get something, even if it's only static from flourescent lights. That's is how radios are bench tested. Have done hundreds of them this way.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Battery charger will work but be aware that battary charges are deliberatly NOT regulated or filtered cleanly. The voltage variations tend to charge lead-acid batteries more efficiently than a 0V ripple does. High ripple probably won't hurt anything, but some decks will be more sensitive than others, so I would avoid it. Also with high ripple the average dc voltage is lower and it is at least possible that some deck might want to see an honest 12V supply and refuse to work or start behaving funny at an average 11.3V.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts