Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help !! I can not get the balancer to budge the slightest bit. It is a big block with a TCI rattler balancer. I have a balancer removal tool on there and I even tried my impact wrench on the tool, set at 450 ft-lbs. Then I tried a breaker bar and 4' of pipe. I bent the big center bolt on the puller. Tried a torch also. Nothing will budge it. Any good tricks out there?

Jim R.

------------------
My 70 Chevelle

·
Registered
216 Posts
BTW, they only come off if you call them "harmonic DAMPERs."

Big O Dave

------------------
God, Family, Country, Chevrolet... and Volvos with Small Blocks in them. To paraphrase the Chrismas carol:

"Oh what fun it is to ride with a HIDDEN Chevrolet!"

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by okc70t:
P.B. BLASTER THEN YOUR PULLER<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jim, First take the bolt out!! Just kidding.... Big blocks usually have a real tight balancer fit, Your going to have to get a monster puller, not a china, parts store piece, something from a major tool co, snap on, mac etc. Soaking the front with penetrating spray (PB Blaster)and using some leverage (pipe) and an impact socket on a breaker bar. Your doing the right things, just need to improve the tools. If all else fails, take the engine out of the car, remove the oil pan and with a sledge hammer wail on the balancer..... LOL, DOH!!!

------------------
http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/yosemitedr/quintillis/index.html

·
Registered
3,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I sprayed the crank/damper with penetrating fluid, let it sit for a few hours, heated the thing up with my torch, used a bigger peice of pipe and leaned on it. Hey, its turning.....no that was just that big center bolt on the puller twisting and galling the threads. Ok, I am off to search for a better puller. I hope this works. What bugs me is the fact that I have had this thing off the crank about 4 times in the last 10 years. Never had to fight with it though

------------------
My 70 Chevelle

·
Super Moderator
13,009 Posts
Epi,
I know this is going to sound stupid, but make certain that there is not a washer in the balancer. Sometimes the washer for the damper bolt will get "crusted" in place and you cannot tell it is there. If it is there, you will be pushing against the washer with the removal tool, and it will never budge.....been there, done that as they say.
Just one more thing to check.
Rat dampers are tight, but it should have come off if you have done everything you have so far.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I always put a little grease on the snout when putting one on. It tends to come off easy the next time you need to remove it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Definately get anti-seize compund on the puller threads. This will lessen the torque needed and allow more "push" with less twist of the puller center bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IT'S OFF!!!
Thanks guys, I bought PB Blaster and sprayed it on, checked for the washer, it was off, then I went out and bought the mother off all damper pullers (twice as thick as my old one). Heated up the damper hub, put that big puller on there, lubed the threads on the puller, tightened it up a bit and then gave the "tightening bolt" a smack with a hammer. Put my impact wrench on there and it came off. Slowly, but it came off.

Thanks for the tips,
Jim

------------------
My 70 Chevelle

[This message has been edited by Epistuff (edited 04-28-2001).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Epistuff, aren't you the guy who had a problem with a stuck cross pin in the differential about 6 months ago? Now the front damper? Things get to stick on this car really good.

Just joking...

·
Registered
64 Posts
had to be the P.B. BLASTER that stuff works miracles-----once say a picture of Moses holding a can in front of his BIG BLOCK CHEVELLE.---------okievelle

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greek, yep that was me months ago who had the seized cross shaft in the posi unit.
As far as the PB Blaster goes, I had never heard about it until okc70t mentioned it in this post. So when I went to the parts store looking for the monster puller, I asked the counter guy about it. He said it was great stuff, so I bought a can. I must admit though, it didn't take as much effort with the new puller as I was expecting, perhaps the PB Blaster did the trick for me. Just glad its off though. Thanks again.
Jim R

------------------
My 70 Chevelle

·
Registered
29 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ken70ss396:
PB Blaster works! You can spray that on stuck parts, go watch tv for awhile, come back and the parts are all disassembled!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahahaha gotta get me some of that!!! I don't suppose they have a "spray on body work" do they?

These posts remind me of a guy that i used to get to work on my car - he works for the local county vehicle maint crew. Anyway, he said when they had to pull pitman arms on big vehicles (like dump trucks), they would put the puller on and crank down on it, spray down the arm with something like yeild, and go have lunch. An hour or so later, you'd here this big racket from the garage, and there would be the puller and arm layin on the floor...

-Rich

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.