Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel gage in my '65 is stuck beyond "F." Possible causes: (i) electrical problem with gauge, (ii) mechanical problem with gauge (pointer jammed), (iii) electrical problem with sender in fuel tank and (iv) mechanical problem with sender in fuel tank (float stuck). Any ideas on how to figure this out?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Maybe(v)? A bad gage ground. The 65 fuel has only two wires power (pink) and sender (tan). The gage ground is through the gage frame. If the meter loses the ground it can drive the meter full. Run a separate ground lead from under the meter mounting screw down to the dash frame. See if that does it.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
dedixon, do you have SS gagues??

65Camino 355 ci. 700r4 4wheel sisk brakes

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It's the ground, I had the same exact problem and the ground came undone and was dirty. I remounted it and cleaned it and she works good as new. Easy fix.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino
Originally was & will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black/black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PDB, PW, Tilt, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Also, check out my new 1987 Chevy Caprice Coupe!
Other Restorations - 1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem diagnosed: the wiring harness for the rear of the car, including the fuel tank sender, was unpluged from the wide flat wire set that runs from the dash to the rear. In addition to the fuel gauge, the tail and tag lights were out also. The connection came apart (flat wires pulled out of plug). I put it back together and blew the fuse. I'll figure it out tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts