Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I recently saw an ad for a remover/installer kit all in one by Moroso.. didnt have a price.

for a remover i just have the sears/craftsman one which works great and is good quality..

I have a moroso installer which im also happy with..

the craftsman part cost like $20 at sears and the moroso one was about three times as much from a local shop, could probably get them cheaper in summit or something

mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have had this same problem myself. It surprised the guys at the parts store that I actually twisted that fine thread, hardened bolt. If you have an impact wrench, use it! I replaced my twisted tool with a new on and have not had any trouble since if I use the air tools. I guess the hammering action of the air wrench helps break a stuck damper loose.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was using an impact! How should I proceed. I've taken a few of these off before, but never had this much trouble. The motor is an LS-6 crate engine (about 8 yrs. old, 2000mi on it) I should'nt be having this much trouble!

[This message has been edited by ETD66SS (edited 04-02-99).]

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,003 Posts
BB balancers are sometimes very tight. I've had several that were a real problem. You need a top-quality puller with a large diameter, fine thread center bolt. Helps if the parts are hardened. I've had apply a little warmth to a couple of these to get them moving.

Tom

W

·
0 Posts
Rat balancers are a pain! I took a ton of them off boat motors, most where very difficult to remove. I used a Snap-On puller and just as important the installer. Never found one that I could not get off, did find some after market ones that needed to be "fitted" before use.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, I got the balancer off without any damage, and without purchasing a new puller! I actually had a 9/16 fine thread bolt to fit my puller in my bolt bin, of course it was only 1-1/2" long! Using sockets, washers and a few other things as spacers, I was able to impact the balancer all the way off. I am a mechanical engineer, and I just don't understand why you would need such a tight press fit! There is a keyway and a bolt on the end of the crank, I would imagine a lighter press fit and some sort of lock on the end of the bolt would suffice. I guess I'm just glad it's not a taper lock fit(like on an outboard motor flywheel) those are even scarier!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've done lots of outboards no problems with the right tools thats the secret "right quality tools"for every job...FRED

[This message has been edited by Fred Ont canada (edited 04-07-99).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.