Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first resto project. I have to do the trunk pan and at least partial quarters. The body is coming off the frame to fix the shock mounts so I might as well mount it on a rotisserie. Is it safe to replace the panels on the rotisserie or better to do them while the body is on the frame?
Thanks

· Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John.

Hopefully my questions will get less stupid as time goes on. Better to ask than turn my car into an accordian.

· Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Thanks John.

Hopefully my questions will get less stupid as time goes on. Better to ask than turn my car into an accordian.
That wasn't a stupid question, its a really good question.

You mentioned this is your first restoration. I really believe that every hour you spend on this forum researching something about your car before you actually do any work on it is probably the equivalent of about $20 to $40 an hour your saving.

If you can hold off doing anything on it, I couldn't, you will save a ton of money and headaches by researching it first.

I also noticed you came off that cash and became a paying member right away, its guys like you that help keep this forum going, we appreciate it.:thumbsup:

While I'm on here it wouldn't hurt to get on my website and take a glance at the floor pan replacement, not exactly how I did it, but you will see some different tools and different ways to do them.

Don't do all the screws like I did:clonk::clonk: unless you like driving screws.:D

Rob

· Premium Member
3,439 Posts
That wasn't a stupid question, its a really good question.

Rob
:yes: That is a better question to be asking now. Later on you won't be asking why won't the body fit the frame and the doors, truck lid line up. Most of these questions have been previous discussed but can be elusive to find. You will either get an answer or point to a previous topic. :thumbsup:

· Registered
33 Posts
if you use jigs and weld braces inside the car before it goes on the rotissere you can get away with minimal flex while off the frame. I replaced the entire floor pan from cowl to rear of trunk on my 69 GTO while it was upside down and everything went ok since I had put in cross braces in several spots. I plan on doing the same on my 72SS (why do I always buy cars that need entire new bottom metal???) this fall or winter.

JOE

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Agree 100% with Rubadub. Doing a lot of reading on here and other good autobody sites pays off bigtime. Doing searches on "quarter panel replacement," "floor pan replacement," "rocker panel", "door skin replacement" will usually yield many thread that cover common questions and sometimes step by step instructions with photos. If you don't find it with a search, just ask the question yourself. I also like the message boards on autobodystore.com and hotrodders.com. This one is obviously the best because the people are very friendly and helpful and because the questions one might ask are being asked to people who owns the exact same cars often have done the exact same job.
Good luck.

To expand upon what has already been said, it's considered best to do panel replacement while the body is on the frame and the frame is sitting on it's suspension (as opposed to sitting on jackstands). Certainly it can be done other ways with varying degrees of success, but to minimize slight flexing etc which might cause panels to not line up later, on the frame is your best option.

· Registered
241 Posts
The answer kind of depends on which type of rotisserie you are using. Most of them hang the body from attach points near the ends of the body. The one I built is a full frame rotisserie, that supports the body form all the original mount points, and allows me the freedom to change any panel on the car without worrying about alignment issues. The trade-off is that you have to work around the mount points when working on the underside of the car.

I originally built mine to work on Corvettes, and you don't have any choice on Corvettes, you have to support them from the original mounts. My rotisserie is more like a surface table that rotates.

Regards, John McGraw

· Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the tips and advice. Much appreciated.

I've been a member of the Diesel Truck Resource forum since '02. Yes, I have to fess up. I own a hot-rodded 12 valve cummins but have always been a Chevy guy at heart.

Good forums are like goldmines for info. Hope to be here for a long time.

· Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Agree 100% with Rubadub. Doing a lot of reading on here and other good autobody sites pays off bigtime. Doing searches on "quarter panel replacement," "floor pan replacement," "rocker panel", "door skin replacement" will usually yield many thread that cover common questions and sometimes step by step instructions with photos. If you don't find it with a search, just ask the question yourself. I also like the message boards on autobodystore.com and hotrodders.com. This one is obviously the best because the people are very friendly and helpful and because the questions one might ask are being asked to people who owns the exact same cars often have done the exact same job.
Good luck.

To expand upon what has already been said, it's considered best to do panel replacement while the body is on the frame and the frame is sitting on it's suspension (as opposed to sitting on jackstands). Certainly it can be done other ways with varying degrees of success, but to minimize slight flexing etc which might cause panels to not line up later, on the frame is your best option.
John I agree with you the autobodystore.com and hotrodders are both good sources of information.

However, when I put a bunch of my home made jigs and what not on the autobody forum, they criticized a couple of things pretty good, so I told them I would just leave and I haven't been back.

Anyway the autobody forum sells a lot of stuff, and it appeared like they don't like a lot of home made stuff on there site.

I can understand that. If a guy can make it, they sure aren't going to sell it.

Rob

· Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't spend nearly as much time on the Autobody.com board as I used to but I thought they were ok in the past. I guess there are jerks pretty much everywhere. Len who runs the site seems like a decent guy and I kinda thought they were pretty open minded considering the guy is trying to run a business. Hotrodders.com I still like though there doesn't seem to be as much traffic as they used to have. Doing a search on there usually pulls up a lot of hits.

Frankly, I don't think I've been to any site thats as friendly as this one and open to all questions on all makes and models.
Did you post your creations here as well? I love how to thread....body jigs, rotisseries, etc.

· Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I don't spend nearly as much time on the Autobody.com board as I used to but I thought they were ok in the past. I guess there are jerks pretty much everywhere. Len who runs the site seems like a decent guy and I kinda thought they were pretty open minded considering the guy is trying to run a business. Hotrodders.com I still like though there doesn't seem to be as much traffic as they used to have. Doing a search on there usually pulls up a lot of hits.

Frankly, I don't think I've been to any site thats as friendly as this one and open to all questions on all makes and models.
Did you post your creations here as well? I love how to thread....body jigs, rotisseries, etc.
Yes I have and I didn't get any criticism, I think the people on here appreciate it, or I guess appreciate the effort made to get all the pictures, resize them and put them on.

My wife does the computer end, so its a group effort between the two of us.

The air line drawing took several evenings, its close to 5' long and then we had to bring contractor lights into the living room to get the right pictures, it took a long time to get them the right size and also clear.

The drawing itself was a series of drawings scotched taped onto construction paper. Heres the drawing. http://www.1969supersport.com/draw1.html

Anyway I take a lot of pride in what we have put on, and those guys just ripped me a good one, so rather then try to defend it I just got off the site.

My life is good in retirement and I enjoy it to much to deal with a lot of controversy.

· Registered
184 Posts
Anyway I take a lot of pride in what we have put on, and those guys just ripped me a good one, so rather then try to defend it I just got off the site.

My life is good in retirement and I enjoy it to much to deal with a lot of controversy.[/QUOTE]

Rob it is their loss. You always go way out to help people who ask. Your website is a tool for others to use and we do. I appreciate all you have to offer here. In fact I believe you are the one who invited me here.

Paul

· Premium Member
14,489 Posts
There are some cases where the body will need to come off or at least disconnected from the frame in order to gain access to an area that needs attention. Like the cross braces that are spot welded to the bottom of the floor pans. They have spot welds at each end that are totally obstructed by the frame. So like on my 66. I need to replace a cross brace that is under the front seats. I plan to drill out the spot welds in order to get the panel off. Which means im going to have to lift the body up off the frame. If it were me, I would do what I can on the frame and once you have a situation where you just cant get access to an area if the frame is there. Its probably time to consider removing the body.

But thats not all. I also need to replace both body mounts that attach to the frame behind the rear wheels. The frame is fine, the mounts are gone to the point that the previous owner cut them out completely and riveted a peice of sheet metal in place. I figure ill probably just put the body on a rotisserie. I havent figured out how I will fix those rear body mounts. But I do plan to replace the entire trunk right up to the rear seat floor pan. Which I will do with the body on the frame. Then ill weld in some bars to stiffen the body and remove it to tackle the areas of floor pan and floor braces.

· Premium Member
8,327 Posts

My life is good in retirement and I enjoy it to much to deal with a lot of controversy.

Rob it is their loss. You always go way out to help people who ask. Your website is a tool for others to use and we do. I appreciate all you have to offer here. In fact I believe you are the one who invited me here.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words Paul, its guys like you that show appreciation for things thats makes it all worthwhile.:thumbsup:

Rob

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Your site is fantastic Rob. You've clearly put a lot of time into and everything looks first rate. Your "improvised tool" to use worn Roloc disc is practically famous. I've seen people on several other sites link to your page. It's effort like yours that makes this such a great site.

· Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't had a chance to get through Rob's whole website but I have it bookmarked. Tons of great info in there.

Rob, you're living my dream. Retired, super shop and tools, restoring Chevelles........ It doesn't get much better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.