Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i have several 427 cranks i have a question about using stroker pistons like blower/turbo 454 and 496 pistons with a custom rod in 427based engine.
is a longer rod 6.250" for the 454pistons or a 6.650" for a light 496piston going
to cause any issues that i want to know about??
like skirt interference with crank throws or ???
just thinking that a lighter/stronger piston could be used at a better price,
and i need to get rods anyways...

or would i be better off just getting a 454 or 486 rotating assembly??:|

·
Premium Member
13,086 Posts
since i have several 427 cranks i have a question about using stroker pistons like blower/turbo 454 and 496 pistons with a custom rod in 427based engine.
is a longer rod 6.250" for the 454pistons or a 6.650" for a light 496piston going

Longer rod will never cause a piston to counterweight issue unless you have the worlds weirdest piston,,,
Common lengths are 6.135 (stock) 6.385, 6.535, 6.700 & 6.800 so there are a number of choices without going to a custom rod, much easier to get a piston that either fits or one you can have the pin moved which is in many cases either a free or ±$50 single change option depending on the vendor
Easy numbers to play with
Deck is 9.800 nominal, 9.780 is what most shelf pistons aim at for "zero"
So 3.76/2=1.88
Add a rod length
Subtract from 9.780
Answer is the c/h of the piston you want for a zero deck number of 9.780 & you can play with this if you have a different deck,, say only .010 cut or 9.790......

Shorter answer,,,
Not a big deal if this is what you want to do :cool:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

Hi Vince, this is still a very popular build in our area here, 427" crank, 6.385" rods (we prefer the I-beams on this platform), and a "box" piston. No customs necessary, works only with the original 427" stroke though!

You have to be certain you want the stay with the 427". Having the crank already helps with the cost. We sell about 3 or 4 of these rotators every year to a couple of the local resto shops for their Vette guys! These guys don't want to know anything about any other size units, 427" with them is a "standard" item.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. With the piston being a stocking item and the I-beam rods being fairly inexpensive it's a cost-effective build. With a 38 cc dome and a 118 head you come in around 10.5:1, depending on all the final machining. There's a 20 cc dome also, which puts you around 9.0:1 (not recommended with the fairly "small" inches.

Reactions: VinceS427bb
1 - 3 of 3 Posts