Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 Astro blue, black interior. VERY original, 1 paint job otherwise everything else appears to be untouched! That is where the question lies. I do not have a build sheet but do have a p-o-p as well as lots of dealer order documentation, one of the lines states, "SS 396 Equ", now remember this is a dealer document, not GM. It does not mention the striping option, but does not mention a 'delete' either. The car does not have stripes now, (I prefer them), is there any way to fiqure out whether or not it came from the factory with stripes?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
weister1.

Did the car come with cowl Induction (CI) hood? All SS's had a doomed hooded but not a CI hood! The stripes were standard at no extra cost with the CI hood, optional without.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
My guess is that if there is no reference to "delete" in your dealer paperwork, the car probably had stripes. Is there any evidence of a stripe edge around the cowl door or inside the trunk lid lip? I'm sure you checked that, but I was just trying to cover all the bases. Bottom line is, if you like stripes, stripe it.!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not a CI hood, just the 'SS' hood! There does not appear to be ANY evidence of stripes. It is not a Vinyl top car either; I know on a lot of these cars stripes can be found in front of the rear decklid under the top. Fortunately, it is not a v top!

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
The '70 SS's did not come with stripes standard with the SS option. If you ordered cowl induction you got stripes unless you also specified "stripe delete". You could get stripes on non-cowl induction SS's by also ordering the stripe option.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS Murphy's Law is always in effect

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Dave,

My 70 El Camino SS with the CI hood option was delivered without stripes and it was NOT ordered with the stripe delete option. The only way I was able to confirm that it originally came stripeless was by researching. I was able to talk to the original owner's family and close friends, one of which was with him the day he picked up the car. So which would be truly correct? The build sheet says it should have stripes but that's not the way it left the factory. I'll let the hardcore restorers debate that. I know what I want. It's at the resto shop right now and will have stripes when I get it back. Do it the way you want.

Keith

------------------
Keith
1970 El Camino SS396
RPO L-78

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.