Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 SS that was "restored" in the mid 90's. Needless to say the hood stripes are correct but the trunk ones are 16" total width and way too wide also the chevelle badge is not in the correct location slightly off.

I've been wondering if it's worth it to fix this mistake. The paint otherwise is in quite good shape. It's a driver car and I want to put like 5-8k on it next year so it's not a show Queen etc.

Honestly it looks fine unless you know what you are looking for and my buddies have told me it looked fine and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Anyone been in this situation before? Kinda bugs me but not sure if it's worth the money to fix.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I would leave it like that for now. If one day you decide to have the paint redone, then you can correct these small mistakes at the same time. :yes:

good luck,

Claude.;)

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,422 Posts
I've bought many a new car and in the beginning I found flaws in the paint and wanted them corrected. I learned very quickly if you can live with it do so because the fix ended up worse then the flaw. Leave it alone. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Brent, how about a pic of the area in question. I would tend to agree with the others if it isn't that bad.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Brent, how about a pic of the area in question. I would tend to agree with the others if it isn't that bad.
x2, we need a pic. If your stripes don't go through the trunk filler to the rear glass trim (it should) but I'm thinking if they didn't paint the stripes right maybe they didn't do this right either. If that's the case I'd snag a new trunk lid, repaint and stripe and put her on if it bugs you. Shoot you could even take the stripes through as described. If you can live with it, drive it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
x2, we need a pic. If your stripes don't go through the trunk filler to the rear glass trim (it should) but I'm thinking if they didn't paint the stripes right maybe they didn't do this right either. If that's the case I'd snag a new trunk lid, repaint and stripe and put her on if it bugs you. Shoot you could even take the stripes through as described. If you can live with it, drive it.

They don't look terrible unless you actually know what you are looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,422 Posts

Your right, guys on here would pick it out because a lot of us know the cars but your average Joe on the street wouldn't. They look OK and if it were mine I would just leave it alone. You could go through your car and probably nit pick other things too. Enjoy what you have and don't worry about it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your right, guys on here would pick it out because a lot of us know the cars but your average Joe on the street wouldn't. They look OK and if it were mine I would just live with it. You could go through your car and probably nit pick other things too. Enjoy what you have and don't worry about it. :thumbsup:

Honestly average car guy probably wouldn't notice it either. It's a true SS 454 car non-matching 4spd car with AC. I want a good driver car which it is probably just going to make it the best damn street car I can.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts

I would definitely leave them like that. :yes: About the "Chevelle" emblem, it's from a '69… but I'd also leave it like that. :thumbsup:

Claude.

P.S: I love those red/black stripes '70-'72 cars…but of course, I'm biased!...:D

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Honestly average car guy probably wouldn't notice it either. It's a true SS 454 car non-matching 4spd car with AC. I want a good driver car which it is probably just going to make it the best damn street car I can.
I think were all after the same result. My cars a Malibu with a BBC, and 4 speed in it. I went through the car to make it the best I could. Is it perfect by no means but it's what I'm proud of and would rather drive it than have it as a trailer queen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would definitely leave them like that. :yes: About the "Chevelle" emblem, it's from a '69… but I'd also leave it like that. :thumbsup:

Claude.

P.S: I love those red/black stripes '70-'72 cars…but of course, I'm biased!...:D

It's great I have a W vin and D vin next to each other so I can compare certain things. The 6cylinder is period correct survivor car so it helps. The emblem was the first thing I noticed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think were all after the same result. My cars a Malibu with a BBC, and 4 speed in it. I went through the car to make it the best I could. Is it perfect by no means but it's what I'm proud of and would rather drive it than have it as a trailer queen.

Gonna worry about getting the car driving spot on first. Then worry about correcting other things like badges and stripes. Also two wheels are Camaro wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Whoa! Those are some phat stripes! I would leave those red stripes on there (jk). It looks fine, drive it. Those stripes will get smaller as you pull away from the Mustangs anyway!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm not a Chevelle guy but I think they look great, of course I don't know any better. The stripes on my GS are slightly off but only I would know it

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
They'd bother me, I'd have to redo them. Just doesn't look "right".

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
That would cause me to get a sander out immediately!

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
You guys are brutal. Next someone will probably point out that the front stripes aren't right either.

All kidding aside, I'd leave it as is til the next full paint job.

Reactions: HKalin

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are brutal. Next someone will probably point out that the front stripes aren't right either.

All kidding aside, I'd leave it as is til the next full paint job.

I'll post them when i get home. Haha

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Id have to say this:"does this make my butt look big?".

Now if the answer is of, its " 2 axe handles wide, or jeeze ya cast a moonlike shadow there", then obviously ya need to paint it and quick!

If the answer is, "no sweetheart, those are the pearly gates", youll stil die , but laff hysterically , hopefully heading for those gates..

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Explain that "pearly gates" thing ...again?:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts