Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some street runs before, but wish run at S.I.R (Seattle) in the next couple of weeks during Test-N-Tune.

What am I to expect out of my tires on launch compared to hookig up on the street?

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
172 Posts
It depends on what tire you are running. But, the track is far superior to the street. The street has dirt, pebbles, etc.. making tire spin all too easy.The track is a cement starting pad(the good tracks, anyway) It is clean, has a layer of rubber on it from all the other tires and lastly, it is usualy sprayed with traction compound. If you could walk across the starting line, you would know right away. It's so sticky , you feel like you are gonna step out of your sneakers

------------------

.....Joe
"67 Malibu"

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Joe is right, the track is far superior.. I race at the nostalgia drags, and hit the track with the same radials I use on the street, and with a good burnout they will actually hook up! No chance of that happening on the street.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Cardiac, haven't bee to the strip either, I hear it's stickier, but more importantly,

FLAT - I feel those ladders pushing/unloading/pushing when I hit waves in the pavement and,,

NO STRIPES, oddly enough I launched a few times and hit those wide stopping stripes and uh, it unloads ( spins ) and loads again. Beats the heck out of the running gear.

So the strip has to be " kinder and gentler" on the running gear for sure.

And no, I'm not street racing and no I'm not doing full tilt 4000 rpm clutch drops at intersections either ( in case someone thinks I'm unsafe at any speed!)

------------------
Chaas
Gold #62/ACES
67 SS396/L88

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 02-13-2000).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running 265X15 BFG T/A radials. I've heard the track is stickier, but will it be more or less consistant than the street due to the changing conditions?
Currently the car launches real straight, but it seems to me the radials WILL hook up better than most people expect on the track. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough, I just don't want to look like a DWEED

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 02-13-2000).]

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Most of the time I bypass the water /bleach box, and just back up to the remnants of the previous car. There is enough there to get your tires moist enough, and just do a little heating up.The majority of the time though, I just clean the tires with a quick spin, and follow the tracks of the car that just ran. They apply a traction compound at the staging line, and you just need to power brake it to make sure it will stick good, before creeping into the lights. When you get there, PAY ATTENTION! You need to watch the lights, not what the other guy is doing. You will get the pre-stage, then stage. Bring your car up to rpm, and he will roll up to get his light. Then the as the lights roll down, leave on the last yellow light you see.Don't wait till green! When that last yellow cycles on,and off ,you should already be moving.Dopn't let off the car till you're clear through the traps at the other end. Follow the road, and run back by the shed to get your time slip.Don't forget to pick it up.It wll give you all the info about your run, 60 ft, react,and more.Is this a 1/4 or 1/8th mile track?

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 02-13-2000).]

·
Banned
269 Posts
Cardiac, with those tires you will spin, how much depends on the power you're making and track conditions. Definitly drive around the water. Don't worry about reaction time, that's not why your going there and doesn't matter unless your in competition. Besides the clocks don't start until you move out of the beams. Just go and have fun and if you like it then invest in some DOT slicks that you can change at the track.

L

·
0 Posts
BFG Radial T/A's are all but worthless for drag racing on any car making decent power. It won't matter how sticky the track is. A few years ago I was using 275/60 T/A's and couldn't get a 60 foot time under 2.25 seconds.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I agree T/A's are not too good at the strip. You should run higher pressure in them, say 40 psi to start with. I always bypassed the water box but you could try, a wet burnout, a dry burnout, and no burnout to see which work best for you.

Also, launch technique will have a lot to do with hooking. With a high power engine try to ease the power to the wheels otherwise they will really light up (fun but cost you time). If you are without posi this is particulary true. Don't worry too much about getting a good light, just try for a good et and 60ft time. Have fun!

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,661 Posts
If nothing but street tired cars have run before you, the surface will be less sticky than if drag slick tired cars have run. The softer rubber they leave is much stickier and traction increases accordingly.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS Murphy's Law is always in effect

·
Registered
133 Posts
I ran 11.02 at 127 mph in a 65 Vette with BFG's and mufflers. Had a 1.71 60' time because I had to feather it out of the hole. It has a blown 406 with 585 hp and is a real street car. I laughed when the tech. guy told me to keep it out of the 11's. I told him there was no way with BFG's. Well I almost stayed out of the 11's. If someone had told me before that they had gone that fast on BFG's, I would of had to say that they were lying. Good luck and have fun.

[This message has been edited by Aug98 (edited 02-13-2000).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seattle Inter. Raceway is 1/4 mile.
I have a 3.55 gears and Auburn gear "Pro-Series" posi. I'm running the T/A's because I don't want to spend the money on a set of "Sticky" tires just yet.
With the 430HP I'm sure I'll have to launch a little conservitive but the Global West suspension seems to hook-em up pretty good on the street.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
20 Posts
I run my 67 at Island Dragway in N.J. I use street tires all the time. ALWAYS avoid the water trap with street tires, the water will lay in the grooves of the tire and drip down while you stage. I have found that the hotter you get the tires the better you launch. I bring my RPM's up to 1600, leave on the last yellow and as soon as I am moving I mash it down. It is much easier with slicks, but a real challenge with streets. Mt best is 12.8 @ 108 mph with streets. I have been drag racing on weekends for some time now and still get nervous everytime. I love it !!!!! My wife tells me to grow up, and I ask why ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey Cardiac! Being a local like you I can tell you that you won't have to worry about driving around the water at SIR - you'll be in it!

Seriously, when is Test-N-Tune? I'd like to try and make it there, too, although I probably won't have the break-in miles on to make a run.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'66 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Banned
269 Posts
ferrill, what class do you run @ Island. I've been racing there for years in Heavy. Just went to their banquet 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I haven't run my new combo at the strip yet, but with the old 327, TH350 and radials I got better launches on the street than at the strip. I found it easier to pedal the car on the street. At the strip the tires just totally let go.

Just for fun, once I spun the tires all the way past half track and in all 3 gears. I could never do that on the street and believe me I tried. I figue I was doing around 55mph when the tires finally got bite

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Man, you guys really got me itchin' to take that ol' 67 out and see what she can do!! I know I'm gonna feel like a teenager doing his first "insertion".....

Yeeeeehaaawwwww!

P.S. Hope I don;t like it too much, might have to start looking for a '68 roller setup fr BBC/Glide.
------------------
Chaas
Gold #62/ACES
67 SS396/L88

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 02-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 02-15-2000).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had BFG Drag Radials on my 227hp 5.0 Mustang. I could annihalate the tires on the street or the track. It didn't matter what air temperature, air pressure, track condition, what type of burnout or no burnout I did, launch rpm or anything else...I could never get them to hook hard. The best I got was a 1.91 60 foot. In my opinion they stink. Get a set of slicks and put them on at the track.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
In a recent magazine, I forget which, ther is an article about a Monte Carlo that turns 10.15 sec with BFG Drag Radials. I don't know how he does it. IIRC, he has 1.5? sec 60' times.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 02-15-2000).]

·
Banned
269 Posts
Pat, his name is Alan Whitaker and he runs in Factory Street Class over in the NMCA. Billy Glidden is his engine builder and friend. This is Glidden as in BOB Glidden the winningest driver in NHRA history and multi time PRO STOCK Champion. A lot of cutting edge technology here at work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.