Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I go with a stroker or stay 454 based(4.00 stroke)
Looking for 800hp/700tq under 7000rpm any suggestions.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Build the biggest engine you can afford to. The bigger the engine on your budget the more mild it will be

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What block are you starting with?
Not sure yet, weighting options between different bore/stroke combo's.
Stroked engines can tend to have windage and piston speed issues sometimes.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Build the biggest engine you can afford to. The bigger the engine on your budget the more mild it will be
One small limiting factor with that theory is I need to stay with a short deck block for fitment.
So no 632's and such.

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
773 Posts
A 454 with an F1X Procharger will easily meet your goals and more.

·
Premium Member
13,031 Posts
Can I play? ............... :geek:

I heard about this guy,,, :oops:

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Should I go with a stroker or stay 454 based(4.00 stroke)
Looking for 800hp/700tq under 7000rpm any suggestions.
Best be looking at adding boost. lol

I don't think you'll hit those numbers from an NA pump gas street/strip 454. That would be difficult with a 509 even.

·
Premium Member
13,031 Posts
Not sure yet, weighting options between different bore/stroke combo's.
Stroked engines can tend to have windage and piston speed issues sometimes.
I don't see him locking it into a 454,,,,, just the shorter stroke........ looks to me like the size is pretty open :)

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I don't see him locking it into a 454,,,,, just the shorter stroke........ looks to me like the size is pretty open :)
When he said 454 based, I figured he meant 4.25-4.31 bore size. By stroker I figured 496. In any case, I think he needs to be looking at 540+ if he wants to be NA.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm an old guy so I want traditional N/A motor.
No cheating with Nitrous or boost.
You can get/build a short deck 615...that should meet your goals
What are the dimensions to get a 615?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When he said 454 based, I figured he meant 4.25-4.31 bore size. By stroker I figured 496. In any case, I think he needs to be looking at 540+ if he wants to be NA.
Yes I said 454 based and in prentices said 4.00" stroke.
Researching windage issues with the larger strokes, and then there is also durability due to piston speeds.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Nevertheless, your stated goal is rather ambitious so an aftermarket block and 4.5 X 4.25 or 4.6X 4.00 is the right math to begin with. I'd think any pro builder would agree. Use the longer rods to cut angularity. You're stuck with some piston speed.

A DURAMAX would get you to where you need to be, @ 5000 rpm~ ;)

or as said, alternatively is boosting a 496 to 1.5 bar. Get your 700ci effectively by volume.

Lemans will need a whole new suspension!

For EG : BluePrint Engines 598CI ProSeries Stroker Crate Engine | Big Block GM Style | Shortblock

although that's 6K for something I may want to disassemble and blueprint for real!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
How much do you want to spend? Both of these are low deck engines (i.e. same dimensions as a standard 454.)

Reactions: lookback

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
the 496 is an excellent combo. whoever the engineer was who designed this structure had his "A" game on... that kind of horses as the others posted will more than likely require some pressurization....

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
My 555 is around ~900 on pump 93. It's not very street friendly. When it had less cam, (hydraulic roller) gear and made around 750 it was much more enjoyable to drive. If I was going to drive it more I'd put a 3.50 gear in with less camshaft, probably still make 800 and be a lot more street able.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nevertheless, your stated goal is rather ambitious so an aftermarket block and 4.5 X 4.25 or 4.6X 4.00 is the right math to begin with. I'd think any pro builder would agree. Use the longer rods to cut angularity. You're stuck with some piston speed.

A DURAMAX would get you to where you need to be, @ 5000 rpm~ ;)

or as said, alternatively is boosting a 496 to 1.5 bar. Get your 700ci effectively by volume.

Lemans will need a whole new suspension!

For EG : BluePrint Engines 598CI ProSeries Stroker Crate Engine | Big Block GM Style | Shortblock

although that's 6K for something I may want to disassemble and blueprint for real!
Yes it is I guess I'm looking to have my cake and eat it too.
Thinking of 4.600 x 4.00. with a longer rod over the 4.500 x 4.25 (unshroud the valves, reduce windage, and piston speed/pin placement)

And Yes, I recently did frame/suspension mods to the Lemans in preparation.
Boxed the factory frame and added reinforcements, installed adjustable lower control arm frame mounting points.
Custom trans. crossmember for exhaust clearance.
UMI Chromoly adjustable upper and lower control arms w/roto-joints.
Team Z ARB
Viking D/A shocks.

Along with a Moser M9 is on its way to replace the 12 bolt.

thumbnail_image1.jpg

1 - 20 of 46 Posts