Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a well performing car a thing that you can "let it hang out" on the street. BS. I have only seen a few posts that say they take their cars to a Drag Strip. Are the others afraid to take it to the local "strip"? My age may now be over the hump, but I never belived in street racing, but I would still take my El Camino to the strip. May be because a lot of people owen "show and no go".
Al, this should start a interesting few days.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
One problem around here is a lack of places to (legally) run your car. I don't condone street racing but I understand why it happens. Kids (and adults) are going to race no matter what. If a strip isn't available, the street is all they can use.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
283 Posts
You bet! We tryed "lett'in it all hang out"
off the street but you can imagine the problems! what with the rocks and armadillos poping up at a hundret miles an hour. The track is 120 miles away, ok for
settleing arguments saturday nites. But for
that daily jolt of adrenalian its either the street or the Wal-Mart parking lot ( space
to get going but not enough room to stop ).
Note: Most of the serious runners around here are old dudes like me 45 going on 15.
I didn't build these monsters to look at, I built them for near death experences and to
keep the tire manufactures in expensive suites.
Harley

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I got caught street racing when I was 17 and as it turned out, we could've ( a car load of guys)got hurt or wiped out. It wasn't the fine, or the classes, or the ass whippin' I was threatened with, it was the fact that IF I had made that last turn ( I decided to take on the officers Mopar after he caught me decimating a friends GTO with my Chevy - way bad move )my three buddies and I would've been tumbling end over end through the field in a Nova. And no we weren't drunk or high, it was just the adrenaline. Reminds me of the ZZ Top song "Master of Sparks".

I didn't buy a '67 Chevelle to put my old 427 in so I can show it around town. The thrill for me is the mechanical beast that roars. But, on the street, there's just too many things that you can't control, like kids and dogs. So a couple of buddies on a backroad highway, maybe. But I'm with Patrick. And your perspective does change when you become a parent.

Like I said, I am building my '67 SS427 to run. Show and no go is BS. Therefore I'll be obliged to take it down to the local 1/8 once in a while, but also to find a quiet back country road with my buddy in his 509 Camaro too. But lightin it up " in front of the 7/11 " just isn't cool or safe.

My 506 Camaro buddy loves to hop on it when I ride with him and the way he does it requires wicked good brakes, redline in 1st, shift, brake,. I think it gets to about 50-55 and then back down to the speed limit. It's kinda like meeting the woman of your dreams, naked, with a keyless padlock on !

Anyway, back to work....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sometimes you just can't help it. You don't leave the house thinking "I'm gonna street race today" but,There you are,sitting at a red light minding your own business when some joker in his Ford Rustang pulls along side you and looks over and revs the engine. Sure,you can try and ignore him but,hey man, you're driving Chevelle! You didn't put the baddest engine your town has ever seen in your car to get shown up by a Rustang.Light turns green and look out! In just 30 seconds you went from cruising to racing.We all know street racing is wrong but,Sometimes that thing called pride overpowers your ability to think straight.

------------------

JoeS
"67 Malibu"

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
pat
when i hit the streets at 16 us street racers were like modern gun fighters,nothing like a saturday night gunfight. gotta cut your teeth somewhere.but it got out of hand.i agree. the strip is where to do it.but some of the best came off the street.garlits.force.earnhardt.w.j. today it should be done on the strip,nothing should show without go!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it can be helped. How would you feel if someone killed your child because it "just couldn't be helped. One death could ruin your life.

Someone said the strip is 120 miles away. I understand this can be a problem, but go to your local police, tell them the problem before you street race, it's a little harder to tell the problem when the MAN is leaning in your window with that "I got you" smile.
Any old airports around? AF Base? I even seen the police shut down back roads for this reason.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yup, I've done it, street racing that is but it's on a far off back road with no other traffic "safe" area . I will not go for it on busy public streets with every 5.0 that wants to race (what for there too slow anyway) But I am known to run out first gear a time or two.But to steet race with traffic all around you is not the smartest thing to do nowadays .I live in San Diego Ca. there is Not a drag strip around yes there are old airports naval bases ect,ect, and there have been several KIDS killed lately from racing on the streets but nobody is willing to build a drag strip around here. I hear that somebody puts on a 1/8mi. set up every once in awhile but mainly for the younger crowd all but 50 or so entries have to be under 25 years old well that leaves about every body that I know out, there are a lot of "older guys" out here that love to race also and generally have the faster cars..

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
That's it! We'll call them "DRAG PARKS" and it'll be complete with food stand, 1/8 mile (or 1/4 if you got the room) strips, race gas, chicks on roller skates serving shakes ( no beer if you're drivin'!), good clean fun.

You have to staff 'em well and the liability insurance would pretty much blow your profits , but what a blast.

Old AFB's are fab. How do you hookup on tarmac? Probably awesome "air gap" launches.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Patrick, What do you think the police are going to tell you when you go to them and say, "Hey Mr. Officer, I want to race this guy, but there are no Drag Stips around"
What ever should I do???? Do you think they are going to snapp their fingers and boom a drag strip will apear.
Everything has a time and a place. I see nothing wrong with heading out to a country road that is safe, and having a little fun with your friends. Racing in town is flat out stupidity.
I understand you concern as a parent, but there are an aweful lot of things that can kill you. I had a class mate die in a wood shop accident in my high school. It really just goes to show, you never know when you are going to go. I don't live my life in fear of death.
But seriously there is a time and place for street racing. With out it our hobby would have never gotten to where it is today.

------------------
RYAN REEVES
[email protected]

·
Registered
172 Posts
oh boy, ...street racing has been around since the invention of the automobile. Is it safe? No.Is it smart? NO.but,it will always be around. I personally , haven't dragged on the street since I was 17.That is when my father,brother and I got into Bracket racing.We continue to race at Numidia Dragway in Pa. For the last few years I've been driving our r.e.dragster small block 355/PG at 8:55/160 mph every weekend in the summer months . So, I get no thrill out of speeding on the street. In fact. when I drive my 67 I usually drive kinda slow. call me vain but, I like when people stare at my car and the thumbs up I get. People can't see my car if all they see is a red blur. I think as long as there are teenagers and young adults with 450+ hp under their foot ,there will be street racing.and yes!, I know its wrong, wrong, wrong.but, I really don't see how we can stop it. a real shame. Also, unless I am misunderstanding the comment "show and no go" is that a bad thing? whats wrong with a finely restored chevelle with a six cylinder? They all didn't come with big blocks.So, now that I've written a short novel I want to say I agree with you , I don't belive in street racing. unfortunately it will continue

------------------

JoeS
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
9 Posts
well here on the east coast were lucky ive got a track close by. had the malibu to the track saturday. 11.50's 119 mph. not to bad still have a few tricks up my sleeve. as for someone saying the old guys in there 50's.
the guy who got me into cars is in his fifties. still has his 67 chevelle. it's these guys who inspire todays youth into muscle cars. back to street racing. it pretty much died around here in 83. still a place back in the mountains where they race on saturday nights. used to go there as a teenager. never had any problems or anybody get hurt. but there's just to many cars on the road now to go in town and let it hang loose. but when a 5 zero pulls along the malibu the roar of my small block usually backs them down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You guys are absolutely right. Street racing is a dumb and dangerous way to find out who is the fastest. Bit, where else can it be done when the nearest dragstrip is 30+ miles away.

I live in Syracuse NY.
Last winter, I atempter to get a drag park started in a secluded part of town that was centrally located and easy to get to. It would have kept the 130+ mph races off of the public roads. But when I brought this up, I was laughed at.

As long as there are no places to race, there will always be street racing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You guys are absolutely right. Street racing is a dumb and dangerous way to find out who is the fastest. But, where else can it be done when the nearest dragstrip is 30+ miles away.

I live in Syracuse NY.
Last winter, I atempted to get a drag park started in a secluded part of town that was centrally located and easy to get to. It would have kept the 130+ mph races off of the public roads. But when I brought this up, I was laughed at.

As long as there are no places to race, there will always be street racing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I dont have too much of a problem with a little light to light "fun" on main street but I agree anything more than about 1/4 to 1/2 mile on street/hiway or in residential areas is just plain stupid.. also I have noticed that many of the local deaths/wrecks due to street racing were kids who had powerful cars and didnt think there was a limit to what the car and or road could handle.. its 95% common sense. There will always be injuries and deaths, in just about anything.

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone who street races is a MORON. Period! Nothing embarrasses this hobby more than the idiot in a muscle car who has to prove he has the biggest dick on the block. Racing on back streets, dirt roads, light to light, freeways, etc., is NEVER justifiable.

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not entirely true. While I have one of the the fastest cars around here,We are all sure that Gordon has the biggist dick (and the slowest vett I have ever seen). Amoung our gang include busniss owners, college grads and some professionals. I always thought that most of the MORONS where tied up in government jobs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Street Racing is plain stupid and there are "no accidents", because you are taking the risk. Accident's are unexpected events not planned stupidity. I lost two very good friends who got into a "once in a blue moon" street run. They hit a screwed up man hole cover and lost the wheel... The rest you can figure out. One lived for 3 days, the other one was decapitated on the spot.

I live out in the country and there are several places to let the horses run and be safe about it. We also have a track not too far, if you need to prove the testosterone levels.

On occasion, you'll get a 5zero or a MonteSS come up and "wag his tail" at ya, and so you let the Super Turbo's let'm know what's what. They usually do back off, and the kids who don't, don't get far if you don't play!

It's better to live long and have pride in your ride than to have pride and not live long.

Sorry about the length of this... But it's close to home.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS. :D
ZZ4 Powered with real attitude ! :)
Team Chevelle #37 - Gold Member

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.