Chevelles.com banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished getting the stratobench (pictured below) from the 70 Riviera ready to install in my 68 wagon. I did try to fit it with the electrics even though all the threads on this seat said it would be too high...had to see for myself and , yes, it was too high. After removing the electrics, I used the stock runners off of the factory bench seat. I bolted them to the front holes on the stratobench and fashioned a 2.5"x1.5" plate out of 12 gauge steel to bolt down the back hole. Since the adjustment arm on the drivers side is closer to the seat than than the arm on a bucket seat runner, I had to cut a notch (pictured below)in the side of the plastic that wraps around the bottom of the seat; yes, it's a little rough but it was my first time cutting this and the dremel was melting the plastic as I cut. I did have a set of bucket seat runners to use on the seat that would have prevented the need to cut but I sold them with the bucket seats, forgetting that I was going to use them on the stratobench. We fitted the seat in the car and everything lines up. Because of the tilt rearward of the stratobench on the stock runners, I did make a .5" spacer out of block aluminum (pictured below)to raise it up slightly. I'll replace the older Procar seats (pictured below) with the stratobench when I coat and insulate the floor. The Procars are nice with adjustable lumbar support and adj leg extensions but I wanted the 3 person capacity, the stratobucket look and the arm rest. I was going to use another stratobench as the back seat, something that I saw in a 64 or 65 wagon, but it sits too far forward because of the rear wheelwells. The back seat passengers would have no leg room because I drive with the front seat all the way back. Both of the stratobench seats were very inexpensive, and both had operating electrics. The one for the back seat came from the local self-service parts yard for $17; it needed complete recovering and I was able to sell it for $100 without the electrics. The one that I'm putting in was recovered not that long ago and was $175; I financed this by selling the core stratobuckets seats that I had for that price. Once the seat is in, the Procars will be up for sale as well. All in all, a nice look for a low price.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts