Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently contemplating putting a "Strato Bench Seat" in my El Camino. I have been told that this was an option, but cannot find one from an A body. RPO code A82 lists "headrest/strato bench". Anyway, I have one from a Riviera, newly recovered, and power. Anyone ever put a fullsized bench in an A body?
John

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
The Strato Bench seat was not offered in Chevelles, but it was made for certain trim levels on Pontiac Lemans, Olds Cutlass & Buick Skylarks. Those obviously will fit better than one intended for a large B or C-body car. If you are having trouble finding one and since you have the Riviera one, well I guess that you should take lots of measurements. I'll bet it would work in your Elky, but I'm not sure about the seat mounts.

Neat Elky! Was it originally equipped with a vinyl roof cover, or was it 2-toned?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The Riv seat fits in the car, but is about 2" highr than the original. The A body brackets are higher, too, making a 'graft' more problematic. I haven't given up yet, especially since the Riv seat is in very nice condition, new covers and power!
It had a vinyl top. Should have removed the trim when it was painted, maybe, but I liked it this way. There are a couple of pictures taken in the 80's in original trim. They are in my signature.
John

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
Believe it or not, the Olds Toronado (FWD) and the Buick Riviera (RWD) shared the same body structure (1966 - 1970). Of course the Buick had a floor hump while the Olds had a flat floor. They were low-slung cars, so boosting the seat on them seems totally understandable.
Your Elky was the 1st year for a factory vinyl top. You could also specify the roof moldings (RPO D99) without either the vinyl roof or 2-tone.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Cam:
You could also specify the roof moldings (RPO D99) without either the vinyl roof or 2-tone.
Thanks, I didn't know that! I found a 1970 seat from a Buick GS that I am in the process of securing!
Thanks.
John

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just sold a Strato Bench last week out of a 67 Impala SS...

·
Registered
261 Posts
if you want a true factory strato bench
seat .find a 69-70 eldorado 2-door (of coarse).
same back rests as a bucket seat,(strato) (yes) the
button is in the middle of backrest.
and also the seat from those cars come with the power seat back rest release.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by phocksphyre:
I have one from a Riviera, newly recovered, and power. Anyone ever put a fullsized bench in an A body?
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts