Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daily driver is a ’72 350/TH350. I’ve had a problem recently with a front end vibration that occurs primarily at highway speeds (70+). What I can’t figure is that it doesn’t happen all the time and seems to happen after its warmed up. Yesterday I was stuck in construction related traffic on the turnpike and by the time I got to work it almost felt like my front wheel was bouncing…I could see the fender shaking. But on the ride home after work, no problem. Over the past couple of months I have replaced the wheels/tires, balancer, motor mounts, tie rods and front bushings, check the U-joints, and balanced the driveshaft. I’m planning to replace the shocks in the next few weeks when I attempt a disc brake conversion (currently they’re manual drum). Is there anything else I’m missing that could be causing this?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
648 Posts
try a search for this problem. we've talked about this a lot. is there any chance that the company that balanced your drive shaft can check your running gear for you. the co. i used here in michigan offers that service. otherwise, if you jack it up do you still get the vibration? how can you be sure it's the front, does it change when you turn?
some frustrating stuff. i still feel vibration through my shifter, sometimes?

------------------
Bad Papa's '69 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
The fact that is gets worse as it gets warmer almost sounds like tire seperation to me, but you said you changed tires. Years ago, my Nova had a bad vibration. Turned out all the tranny bolts had backed out. Grasping at straws here but sounds like you are too. How,s your pinion angle? Could the universals be binding up?

[This message has been edited by bcice (edited 10-31-2001).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Get the new shocks - I had a very similar problem and it seems the small amount of imbalance left after a tire balance could really get the tire jumping at certain speeds. The old shocks were "tight" most of the stroke, but worn and loose where they normally operated, thus bouncing the car didn't make them appear bad.

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!
http://chevelles.com/showroom/alelcaminofront.jpg
http://chevelles.com/showroom/alelcaminoside.jpg

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Is it just me?

All I see is " Thanks for your help "

Did I miss something?

Your welcome anyway.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
You may have a brake drum that is out of balance, see if the tire shop can balance the tires while they are on the car.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
there is only one way to fail, and thats to quit.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Hey gsawn-- While we are reaching a little for possibilities, what kind of wheels &/or centers or hubcaps do you have? I get a different behavior from my front tires warm versus cold, although they seem to be a little smoother once warm, but I found that the '68 & up rally wheel centers will sometimes affect the balance a various speeds. Usually I found the vibration between 60 & 65 mph, but smoothed out a little more as I went over 70. As I decelerated through the 60 to 65 range, it returned & then went away below 60. I pulled the centers off for a test & noticed improvement, so I went to the "flat" '67 centers & it seemed to subside. Also, once I ran into a situation when after rotating & balancing the tires, the shop over-torqued the lugs & caused a drum-warp induced vibration that came & went at various speeds. I got my brake work done at another shop from where I bought my tires & it took a couple of rotations/brake work sessions to realize what was going on. The brake place torqued the lugs properly & I was OK until I got my tires rotated & balanced again. Although it would be easy enough for you to apply the brakes a little during the vibration to see if it has any effect. Sounds silly, but sometimes it's hard to put the facts together. Moving tires around from one corner on the car to another is another experiment that tells you things...Just some easy things to try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.