Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is a weird one. I just got my 71 chevelle back from the body shop and was putting all the trim and bumpers and lights back in. All the lights seem to work but when I turned the turn signals on the left wouldn't flash and the right flashed too fast.

So I replaced the flasher unit under the dash, not the hazard unit, and tried it and when I use the turn signals, right or left, the hazard flashers come on.

Has anyone experienced this at all. Do I have a ground problem?

Thanks Much

Corey

www.ChevelleSS.com

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Are both the right and left lights coming on when you select either the right or left turn signal?
The hazard button pushed it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the right and left are coming on when I use the turn signals and when I push the hazard button. I do notice that the appropriate flasher unit is making a noise so at least it appears they aren't wired through the same circuit...or does it?

Corey

www.ChevelleSS.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try that tonight. I assumed when I heard the hazard flasher unit blink when the hazard was pressed, and the same for the turn signal unit that the circuits weren't crossed.

Is it possible that the circuits are crossed?

Thanks Much

Corey

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I haven't heard of them getting crossed inside the column before and don't see how that could happen. You appear to know which flasher can is which. Some people get them mixed up. Might also try pulling out the rear bulbs and see if that makes a difference. The front lights & dash lights may not flash but the right ones should come on with the right signal. Same with the left.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Hang loose we just tried a few things. It's not unexpected that the signals don't flash at this point. The rear bulbs are removed.
Time to crawl under the dash with a meter.
With the RIGHT signal on measure these wires to ground on the large turn signal connector.(Understand that the bulbs are not flashing. Actually easier to measure.)

White- This is the brake switch input wire. You should not have 12 volts unless you press on the brake pedal.

Brown- This is the hazard can input. You should not have 12 volts to ground because you have removed the hazard can.

Purple- This is the turn signal can input. You should see a steady 12 volts on this wire because the lights are not flashing.

Yellow & Light Blue. These are the left bulb outputs. You should not see 12 volts to ground.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Alright, so I can't find my voltmeter anywhere, guess I need to buy a new one. Anyway, I was fooling around with it just now and I noticed that when I push on the brake, the front and rear lights come on, and the dash lights come on too. Not flashing, they just stay on as I have the brake pedal depressed.

I have to have something crossed somewhere right? I going out now to get a meter and check the wires you suggested.

Thanks again

Corey

www.ChevelleSS.com

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
This is most likely a ground problem. Take the bulbs out of their sockets one at a time until the problem goes away. That is where the bad ground will be. Trace the ground (black)wire and make sure that it's not broken and that it's screwed to the body and that the attachment point is clean & tight.

BL

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
ChevelleSSdotcom,
One possible mistake earlier, you may have 0 volts on the hazard flasher with the hazard flasher removed. It sounds like you have the hazard flasher pushed in. This will tie all wires together, please de-activate. I guess the regular flasher is in the fuse box. Remove and jumper with a wire. This will turn on the bulbs constantly. Now turn on just left and note bulbs.
Then leave on left and add running lights and note. Repeat the same on the right side. Replace the wire with a 505 flasher. That is a non load dependend flasher and will flash with only one bulb. Check activity.
It sounds like the hazard flasher is turned on which will turn on the front lights and thereby also the dash indicators. Then they are not flashing because there is not enough current to make a 502 flasher flash. If worse comes to worse disconnect the turn signal switch and test wire by wire. It is a good idea to juice through a fuse

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Well, I tried pulling all the bulbs one at a time to see when the problem went away, and I narrowed it down to the right front larger flasher bulb.

I also noticed that the painter didn't mask over the socket and there's paint all inside the socket for both the larger and smaller bulbs. The bulbs work when so I'm assuming this isn't it.

There seems to be a ground wire coming out of the harness that the right headlight and turn signal share that bolts to the body. Is this ground most likely the problem? Wouldn't the headlight not work either? I'm going to try to remove it and clean it.

Thank Much

Corey

www.ChevelleSS.com

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Clean the paint off of the inside of the socket-it's the base of the bulb that's grounded, and it needs a clean surface in the socket in order to work.

BL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts