Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was coming home yesterday, down the highway, when all of a sudden my radio cut out and I felt a 'surge' for just a second. Then everything was fine for about 10-15 seconds, then I loast everything. Ignition, electrical, power steering, everything. So I coasted into a parking lot and popped the hood. I couldn't find any loose connections to the battery. The car wouldn't crank at all, but the lights would come on VERY dim. Just enough that you could tell they were on. Also the generator light was on just slightly when you turned the key to accessory. I got a ride home and came back with a new battery, and everything was fine. I have never had a battery go bad like that before, while driving down the road. It started up nice and strong not 5 minutes before! Do I have charging issues? I guess we'll see if I frag another battery then I'll have to tear into it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
sounds like it could be an alt problem.

you can put a volt meter across the battery and see if the voltage goes up from 12 to 14.5V when the engine is running.

it might be a regulator. Do you have an internal or external(stock) regulator alternator?

you might post any modifications you have made to the electrical system.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
look down this form to the post called OH boy don't even know where to start ... sounds like you've got same problem as he did ....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But if my alternator died, I would still be able to get it home - it wouldn't just cut out like it did. It would get gradually weaker and weaker until finally the ignition system gave out. I had this problem once with my Monte Carlo, turned out the ground connection to the fender was busted off. I read the entire "Oh boy. . ." post, and basically that problem was also solved by a better ground connection. So I put a new battery in the car and cleaned all my connections with a wire brush, so we'll see. Thanks,

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Originally posted by 68KMENO:
look down this form to the post called OH boy don't even know where to start ... sounds like you've got same problem as he did ....
If someone asks me about an electrical problem, I always try to look like I know what I'm talking about, and say "Make sure you have good ground connections, it will fix it" :D In my experience, it will take actually care of most of those funky problems you can't relate directly to any particular component, especially those "lights go dim when this and that", or "backup light comes on when braking" situations. And it's not a waste of time cleaning or replacing your ground cables anyway.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
if I know what I'm talking about or just want to look like I do :confused: bottem line is cars fixed ... the most nelegted maintance items on most cars is the battery wires & ground conections :rolleyes: most people NEVER do anything to them & then wonder why things go wrong

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No kidding. When I first got my Monte Carlo SS ( a while ago) it was having a similar problem with the starter. Turned out that the power feed to the solinoid was mostly frayed off, and was LITERALLY hanging on by ONE thread of the wire! I periodically inspect ALL my wiring since that! Actually on my '68 I have two grounds between body/frame, two from engine/frame and battery/body and battery/engine block. It's just too dangerous to rely on only one ground on cars this old!

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Originally posted by 68KMENO:
if I know what I'm talking about or just want to look like I do :confused:
Ooops, sorry, that's not what I meant at all! I'm just talking about what I usually do. Sorry again!

·
Registered
113 Posts
If your alternator had been bad for a few days, you could have been just running off your battery. Depending on what you were running and how long, a battery could take you a little ways with no idea the alternator is bad. I agree to ck your voltage regulator as well. Many local parts stores will ck your charging system for free.
Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts