Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has developed a strange electrical problem. The brake lights, tail lights, dash lights, interior light and radio will occasionally stop working. The headlights and signal lights still work fine, as do the high beam indicator lights, the battery light, and the E-brake light. the car will often be working fine, and then BAM, everything I mentioned above will short out. It's very strange. sometimes the shorts will happen for no reason, other times it will happen when I push the brake pedal or turn the headlights on. It was suggested to me that the problem could be in the headlight switch, and that replacing this might solve the problem. Does anyone know anything that might be able to help me? Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jonny: I'm no expert but I had a similar problem a few years back and it turned out to be the main harness plug on the firewall by the brake booster.Wiggle it around and see what happens.Good Luck

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC CAN}
65SS chevelle X 2
65 chevelle 2dr
65 el camino
64 el camino
etc.
team #241 gold
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Lane/7757

[This message has been edited by 65ss (edited 01-23-2000).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got this same problem. It just started a couple days ago. I've messed with the wiring harness hoping to find a bad wire, but no such luck. I've got a new headlight switch, but haven't had time to get it installed. Hope to do that tonight. Will let you know what I've found out.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
262 Posts
Right below your brake pedal under the carpet is the connector for all the lights and such going to the rear of the car. You might want to check this.

------------------
Clark
TC #68
Ft. Polk, Louisiana

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'd start with engine to body grounds, then frame to body, and all other grounds. Then the heavy red wire that powers all accessories - all connections from battery to voltage regulator or horn relay need to be checked. Intermittent outages lead me to think loose or corroded connection. Hitting the brakes or adding other load will often cause the bad connection to heat, increase resistance, and quit.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.

·
Registered
337 Posts
There's also a ground wire from the dash harness tat bolts to the top of the e-brake pedal, check that too.
You may have to start replacing your harneses throughout the car. If your gonna keep the car, it's expensive, but it's well worth it. I know, Iv'e been there

Jeff

·
Registered
174 Posts
That is odd, i'd maybe check the wires going from the front to back for any bear spots but if it shorted that way should just blow a fuse. never know could be just the fuse block too, keep us posted

------------------
Owner of a 66 chevelle malibu.... might be on the road next year. I HOPE!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out it was the headlight switch. Replacing that solved the problem. While I was under there, I noticed my fuse box is in rough shape. Anyone know how expensive and difficult it is to replace the fuse box?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.