Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 69'.

I started to restore the car about a year ago and i had to unplug and remove the rear harness to do work so now when i plug it back in to get the car ready to go out for paint i was checking the lights etc. heres what i found

1. all the headlights work along with the running lights for the brakes.
2. the brake lights work
3. the emergency lights work all 4
4. the driver side turn signal works front and rear

but when i switched on the passenger signal all of my lights started to blink. I checked the ground and bulbs and i cant figure it out. I tried swapping in a new flasher unit also. THe only thing i can tell so far is that the drivers side blinkers are much much brighter than the passenger ones (bad ground somewhere???) but when i disconnected the rear harness and put on the passenger blinker only the passenger blinker up front works correctly.

Another problem im having is my guages are all blinking when the headlights are on and the right blinker is on?

im confused help?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Use a test jumper wire. Touch one end to the light bulb base, right where it meets the glass. Touch the other end to a known good ground. That method puts a ground directly to the bulb.
I'd start with the right front turn/running light because the right side is dimmer than the left. See if the jumper makes things behave better.
Also do you have the 12 gage wire from battery (-) to the right inside fender? If not, that might be part of the reason the gages are swinging.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went ahead and cleaned up the ground all in the back and cut off the old butt connectors and soddered the lights now i have excellent bright lights but i have lost running lights all around the car now and my dash is still blinking and when t he right blinker is on the left still blinks but much dimmer now?

i dont know where i put my wiring diagram so im having a tough time.

still confused

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Sure sounds like a bad ground somewhere. I have had strange things like that happening to me several times, and it always turned out to be a corroded, loose or just missing ground connection. I would do what John suggested, use a jumper wire and connect it directly to a good ground to try it out. If you haven't already done it, you should also make sure that you have a ground cable from the battery to the fender. This cable is often missing on old cars, and grounding to the engine only can result in a lot of problems.

The current has a nasty habit of "finding it's own way" when a ground is bad, and sometimes that will make completely unrelated lights come on. Always a lot of fun to play "find the bad ground"

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys so much i ended up pulling out the dash to make sure everything was right in there and that the dash grounds were good then i worked my way back with a voltmeter and uncovered about 12 butt connectors hidden under tape well i fixed and sodered all of thoese back together and wow the lights are very bright and work perfectlly now thanks again!

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts