Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got around to installing my Strange axles & c-clip elims., pressed the bearings on and the "wedding rings"(bearing locks) i installed the pass side, went on pretty good, when i went to install the other side, the axle stopped about 1/4" short-i pulled it out, found the stepdpwn part of the wedding ring hitting the inner part of the axle tube-i ground enough to make it fit, then the bolts would not line up with the flange/elim.
i had to grind a little more off one side of the tube-seems where the axle tube is necked down at the flange, its not perf round, and when the flang is welded on from the factory, it is lined up with the carrier(hopefully) so it might be off a little at the end-anyway, the purpose of this longwinded post is that i have read here that someone said their axles turned a little hard after install, and the problem could have been as the axle was pulled on by the 4 bolts, the stepdown part may have been hitting the inside of the axle tube, which could cause that-as i tried to pull the axle on a little, it would lock up comp.-im gonna pull out the r/s and ck it, as it was a little harder to turn than i thought it should be, but was blaming it on new bearings an r/p
just something to ck when you do the install-pretty impressed with this kit, lots of seals/gaskets

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
sounds like the housing is bent on side you're having trouble .It's hard to check without stripping the housing and taking it to somebody with a big lathe and some experience at this .Check with local HD truck shop , common problem to replace the wheel bearing ends on big housings .If it is bent , they can straighten it with heat and it will hold up fine...have done this numerous times on hard- to -find housings , usually $100 to 200.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.