Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been able to get the jack and spare to fit in my trunk the way the sticker, manual, etc... say it goes, with the jack under the spare. Perhaps someone with a 65 could tell me what the trouble is. It seems like the "J" bolt may be too short. Mine measures 7" from the flat part of the J to the end. Also, due to the contour of the trunk floor, the jack is about 2" off the floor of the trunk in most places. This is when then ends of the jack are in the bracket and indentation in the sheet metal. Trunk pan, jack, J-bolt are stock. Tire is P205/75R14 on a stock rim (I think this is pretty close to stock size). When I try to put things together, the side of the tire closest to the 1/4 panel is about 3'' off the trunk floor, and the J bolt is too short to go through the rim. There is a picture of a J bolt in the Year One catalog that looks quite a bit longer than mine. This has been bugging me for years... Thanks -- Carl

[This message has been edited by Carl Brune (edited 11-24-98).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Carl,
Sounds to me like you have the wrong combination of spare tire hardware.Those J hooks are sold almost everywhere, and none are near right in bend and length. They're prety similiar, but I'd visit the swap meets and try to get a complete `65 set.Also, have the trunk pans been replaced on this car?I've seen that to be a problem as well.
On another note, relating to trunks. If you live in a damp and humid area, remove the trunk mat. I've seen the rust damage just from condensation(over the yearrs)can cause between the trunk pan floor and the rubber mat. You guys who haven't "peeked" under the trunk mat in a few years, better go take a look.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skip,
To the best of my knowledge, everything in the trunk is orginal. Dad is the original owner. I just repainted the trunk, and this detail is really bugging me. The only thing that I can think of is that my 7'' J bolt is not the correct one. -- Carl

·
Registered
12 Posts
P205/75R14 tire is nearly 1" thicker (wider) than OEM 7.35-14
For what it's worth, original PN (part number) for J-bolt is 3841841. This part has been superceded by 364993 which was still available from GM as of 10/1/95. Check with your Chev parts dept.

[This message has been edited by faldrich (edited 11-25-98).]

·
Registered
720 Posts
Carl, do the instructions say which side of the rim faces up? On my car the spare must be placed "face down" or the backside of the spare faces up. The offset on the original ralley wheel I have is such that if I put the spare in upside down the j bolt will not be long enough.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill70, you make a very good point -- it works in I turn the wheel over. The jack instructions and the assembly manual do say to do the other way, with the valve stem up. I've also found that the Year One bolt is 2.75" longer which would also work. I think I'll go with the upside down aproach, but man do the back of my rims look crusty.

While on the subject of stowing the jack, let me tell you what not to do. Don't store it behind the rear wheel well, along the 1/4 panel. I did this for the last 15 years or so. Now I've got bunch of little dings from the end of the jack in the 1/4 panel. I'm not really sure how this happened (maybe when the body flexes), but it is to be avoied... Carl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.