Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't plan on having the car painted for awhile..actually it will be the last thing I do. What's the best thing to do to stop this rust for now?

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Kevin,

Not much you can do with that as a short term fix other than trying to hide it with some touch up paint. The rust will break through in short order, though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevin,

Not much you can do with that as a short term fix other than trying to hide it with some touch up paint. The rust will break through in short order, though.
Do you think it would help to soda blast it? It doesn't matter to me how it looks..its going to be a garage queen for a long while..I just don't want it to get any worse.

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Blasting and getting rid of it are the best solution, I just wonder what else you will find when you start getting into it. Also, this may ( and probably will ) take you down the road of more body work than you are planning on right now.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Blasting and getting rid of it are the best solution, I just wonder what else you will find when you start getting into it. Also, this may ( and probably will ) take you down the road of more body work than you are planning on right now.
Yes you will find several more areas once you remove the paint...trust me. I saw a car show once that showed a product that you plug in to your home electric and put electric pads on your car. It puts a low voltage charge through the metal and is suppose to stop further rusting. I believe I saw it on Dream Car Garage.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Don't waste your time. That rust is advanced enough that the only way you are going to stop it is to cut it out and replace it with new metal. Your time will be better spent wrenching on the car rather than spending it on temporary bodywork.

Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I got it inside tonight and will skip on the body work until the end. It actually rained tonight..first night in 10 years she hasn't been subjected to the weather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts