Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by Fastlane in St. Louis today after I left the auto auction.
They have 4 Chevelles.. 2 70's a 69' and a 71' convertible.
There is a Blue/Silver 70' SS 454 car that I really liked but, the price was pretty steep considering there's alot of things incorrect on it.
I'm wondering what the car was from the factory. It has the "L" on the trim tag and was KS built and it also has the 6500 rpm tach (I know this is an easy switch) There's A/C on the car which would rule it out as being an LS-6 car except that it's add on air and I don't know if it came factory on the car or not.
The paint isn't perfect and the stripes aren't correct anyway. Just wondering what you all think its worth.. Needs alot of money spent on it to make it correct.
Here's a link http://www.fastlanecars.com/vehicle_detail.asp?inventory_id=797

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They had $32995 on the windshield... Also, I couldn't get anybody to talk to me so I don't know if they have any docs. I would assume that they would have put a copy of them on display if they did. I like the 6 speed trans...

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
From what I've read, most Kansas ss cars had the L on the trim tag, original air cars had the big heater box, I was checking that out as well, but I'm a long way away, low 30s sounds cheap ? Whats wrong with it ? And what was the fathom blue/white 70 like ?
Dave

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
dave , a few of us from our car club {gateway area chevelle club} stopped by there sat. before our meeting. those were some sad chevelles in there.one of our knowledgable members was thinking that car was a possible
L78 car.he's a 70 guy and i'm a 69.i know in 69you couldn't get an L78 with a/c maybe in 70?like you said way overpriced and to much to make it correct.. greg

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I've read, most Kansas ss cars had the L on the trim tag, original air cars had the big heater box, I was checking that out as well, but I'm a long way away, low 30s sounds cheap ? Whats wrong with it ? And what was the fathom blue/white 70 like ?
Dave
I think the blue/white car might be a clone. I saw several things wrong with it. As far as the blue/silver car it needs quite a bit to make it correct as you can see from the pics. I emailed them to ask if there was a build sheet or any docs. on the car and asked them what the motor was out of etc. No response at all... I think most of the cars are on consignment and they don't seem to care too much if they sell them or not. Nobody comes out to talk to you although I noticed an older guy who pulled up in a new vette they went right out to speak to him...

·
Registered
97 Posts
no factory air on 70 L78s the guy at fast lane is known to be pretty rude, the good looking gal "girl friend or wife" that has been around for a while seems to know more about the cars in the show room than he does. I had the same experence several years ago they had a mid year Corvette that I liked and could not get anybody to give me the time of day. We were in my daughters car so I guess they thought we were window shopping.I think they like the out of state big bill fold, small brain type

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been there a few times to check out the cars they have in there. WAY over priced. The owner fits the car salesman stereotype.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I stopped by Fastlane in St. Louis today after I left the auto auction.

There is a Blue/Silver 70' SS 454 car that I really liked but, the price was pretty steep considering there's alot of things incorrect on it.

I'm wondering what the car was from the factory. [vin#136370K111207]

It has the "L" on the trim tag and was KS built and it also has the 6500 rpm tach (I know this is an easy switch).

Here's a list of 1970 Chevelle monthly ending VIN's by assembly plant. Check it against your VIN and see if it's right. It's worked out for every`70 Chevelle I checked.
...Re: Earliest known Z15 built at each factory.....
.....May 20,2006....[Z15] 1970 Chevelle SS454 update........
__________________________________________________ ___________________
Baltimore----12B---12/09/1969----LS6--------greg2001-------08/30/2005
Leeds/KC-12B--12/11/1969--LS6-------RixLS6-------04/10/2006
Van Nuys----12C---12/15/1969---LS6-----------mr70---------04/11/2006
Atlanta------12C---12/15/1969---LS6-------Dave Birdwell-----03/19/2006
Arlington----01A---(---------)----LS5----------LevonH-------02/12/2006
Oshawa-----01B----01/12/1970---LS5----------RC70---------11/18/2004
Flint--------03B---(---------)----LS6------(F/S/on e-bay)----03/31/2006
__________________________________________________ _____________
So far.....earliest known documented SS454 Chevelle built hardtops...........................
..1st known and documented 1970 Chevelle SS/ LS6 was built at Baltimore, Tuesday Dec.9,1969.

...2nd earliest documented...LS6/was built at Leeds/KC...Thursday Dec.11,1969.....

..1st known and documented 1970 Chevelle SS/ LS5 was built at Leeds/KC Monday Dec.15,1969.....

__ interesting fact.....about earliest built Z15 convertibles.......so far..........

The 1st documented 1970 Z15 Chevelle SS/LS6 convertible, so far, was built Tues. Dec.16,1969 at Baltimore........

The 1st documented 1970 Z15 Chevelle SS/ LS5 convertible, so far, was built Wed. Dec.17,1969 at Van Nuys...
I think it's pretty safe to assume, this car was not a factory built [Z15 / SS454]...since "SS454 Chevelle" production did'nt start at "KC until early [12 B] December 1969".....
If the KC built Chevelle, does have the [L] on the trim tag, w/vin#136370K111207,
I would bet it left the factory as a real SS396, in late September 1969.......probably around [09 D].......Don.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Well im sorry if your offended. But the problem is all those dealers that think they have gold bars sitting on thier lot that bring the rest of the dealers down to the thinking that they are all out to get $$$.

Do a search here on dealers and you will find that many also have this same belief. I know there are plenty of good honest dealers out there but I still stand by my statement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts