Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Houstonians are beginning to remember what 80 degree weather is actually like. This morning, I was totally flaberghasted - it was 57 degrees outside!!!!!!!!

I know we in the south complain alot about the heat, but I'd like to thank everyone north of the United States for sending that blast of 'cold' air down our way. Man is it nice.
I think my engine is producing 40 more horses with these cooler temps - this summer was long and now it is ime to enjoy cooler temps!!!

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeh, Wes. I know what you mean. I accually had to turn the A/C off for the first time in 7 months. Up north they,re all getting ready to stop working on thier cars and down here it's finaly getting cool enough for us to start.

------------------
Clark
TC #68
Ft. Polk, Louisiana

·
Registered
116 Posts
WOW! here in Wisconsin it was only 40 this morning! All of us northerners know whats coming next Burrrrrrrrrr!

------------------
Proud owner of a 66 chevelle later,POPS
Member #387

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I drove my 71 to work for the first time yesterday. I hadn't planned on fixing the air until after the body work is completed, so I've been waiting for this weather for months.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Wes
As a Canadian I accept your thanks for the cool weather and will do all I can to send you more. We have had the greatest fall here, rained all summer and now has been in the 80's all month. Had to get out the sprinklers the other day to keep my animals fed. Car is already tucked away, we have had frost 7-8 times.

------------------
Rod
Team Chevelle
Gold Member#22
1970 454
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
And last night is the first time my heater kicked on up in Buffalo. Uh oh. Here it comes. Man, my chokeless Holley and unheated open plenum mani really make it a long warm up for the ol L88! Glad to hear things are cooling down for our southern brethren. Just remember us guys up north in February. We'll need a dose of heat from down south then I'm sure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Wes, whats your 70 malibu look like, I think I may have seen it at a car show. Do you ever go to the Street Meet on saturdays at 1960 and Kuykendahl?

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
WHY would anyone live up north??? i came from Iowa to Texas then moved back to Colorado (thought i missed the snow) but i didn't Texas is hot but id rathr take the heat
than the cold

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle5.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ratpower, yes I do go to the 1960 Street Meet often and was there last Saturday night with a few friends. My car has a light 'creme' colored body with red SS stripes on the hood and trunk, and lots of metal flake all over. Wheels are Weld prostars. Do you bring your Chevelle out there much? I remember a hot looking red 66' two weeks ago - was that yours? Let me know if you are going this Saturday night - I will likely be there around 8:30 or 9:00.

------------------
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John, I cannot tell you how many times this summer I wished I was 1,000 miles north of Houston!! Over the past 2 months, I would have given my front bumper to be able to drive at night without constantly wiping my body down with a towel from the sweat!

I'm curious about our northern friends shutting down there cars for the winter - exactly how long do you guys put your cars to sleep? I don't think I could stand it for more than say 2 weeks. I'm afraid I would start Jonesin' for a ride around that time frame if I had to wait. (Yes, I am addicted and from what I've found, there is no help currently available for my illness - hehe.) Is California really the ideal climate for year round cruising?

------------------
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
283 Posts
It was sooo nice today I worked through my afternoon nap. On the down side now the wife is gonna expect me to do all the outside work I have been putten off because "it's too hot dear". oh well if I wanta eat.
At least I can get out of that old rough 3/4 ton truck and excerise the hot rods. I just wish the kamakazi deer would mosy off over the border, hitting one in the SS would kill us both. If it dosen't freeze till January I guess I'll be happy. Youze guys up north bundle up and keep dem caars out of the salt and I'll see ya'all in May.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
wes
sure is nice here in p.a.This is my kind of weather,70s day,50s night, light wind,dry air.I have energy now to get off my but and do something,and guess what?wont be sweatin my footballs off!aint it sweet.hey man headed to wildwood cruise this weekend,its gonna be AWSOME!GOOD DAY ,WES 67RAT MEMBER #199

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Are days are numbred here on lake erie was only a 61 high today. One more show sat. then pack her away for winter. But its time for that big 12 point thats been playing in my woods .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Wes, I know your car now. I always thought it was white, but the metal flake is unmistakeable. It looks really good in the light. My '66 is a white SS clone with weld draglites. The last time you saw it it had a smallbock. I havent driven it out there for a few weeks cause im working on it, but look for it this weekend or next weekend. Ill be there on saturday, and Ill be lookin for ya. By the way, Im only 19 so you wont expect an older guy. See ya there!

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Wes, since you asked, the best climate I've found is in California, up north. I was stationed on the Monterey peninsula for a year. 65-75 all year round. Kind of foggy and damp in summer and winter but spring and fall are gorgeous. I wish I had the $$$ to live there! My fabulous ride back then was a 1972 Chrysler Newport Royale> Huwwah.

·
Registered
131 Posts
YeeHah, 80's... Yup, Houston can sure be hot in the Summer. My work truck needs a heater core, now it's cool enough before noon to actually do it!

I can't drive all the way to the street meet if it doesn't even get going good 'til after 9p.... I'm usually leaving Deer Park cruise about then for home! (That place < Kroger/Sears Hardware lot @ Spencer and Red Bluff > hops from 7 on!)

See you other Houstonians one of these nights!

Dave H.
Houston (I-45 S. & Beltway area) TX

·
Registered
287 Posts
If it's that Cool in Texas then we won't be hearing much from Auggie cause he'll be burnin' rubber at the track! I would personally rather be drivin' in the heat and sweatin' and smilin' and getting 12 months of smiles a year, than havin' to put my ride away for 5-6 months a year!

For all you folks that complain about the heat... I am sure that we Canadian's would defenitely sign a petition to trade ya the weather anytime! There's nothing worse than seeing 6 foot tall snow banks in front of the garage doors.

We have seen frost a few times where I am and well that's OK. My plates are good and while the snow stay's away, I will cruise the 64. I don't mind having my heater on cause, I still get more smiles per miles in my velle than any other ride that I have. It's Spring that is the real hard time for all of us. You just can't come out too early and you want to be out, a long time before you should be! The end of April / early May is just too long a wait from end of October / early November.

Just some thoughts.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada.
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Canuck64, I don't think I could handle having to put the Velle' away for 5 or 6 months...that is just way too long for me to maintain my sanity! The next time I think that our Texas summers' are too brutally hot, I will just picture those 6 foot snow banks next to your garage and all will be better (yea, right!)

I have to remind myself that at least we have roads to drive on...imagine owning a Chevelle in northern Turkey these days. Not to make light of that massive earthquake, but I suppose life could be worse.

------------------
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I went to school in Arizona (in the hills) and I drove a really nice '67 LeMans. Then I got stationed in Ohio after graduation and had to part with that car since I couldn't afford to store it for the winter (and buy another car). When I sold it, I told my wife I HAD to get a Chevelle or GTO when we moved back to a warmer climate. We got to San Antonio in June and the Chevelle arrived in the garage two months later

Fortunately, I have an air conditioned garage so I can work on it during the summer but it sure has been nice the past couple days being able to pull it out in the driveway to fiddle around.

I'm looking forward to the next eight months...now I just have to get all the stuff on the honey-do list done around the outside of the house so I can get back to work on the velle!

------------------
Rick Sutter
Member #383
'67 SS 396
San Antonio, TX
www.sutternet.com/chevelle.asp

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 09-23-99).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wes...

One of The Best Part's of owning a velle is when you've had a lousy day at the labour camp and you want to just explode, so you rush home and jump into the ol'velle and take her out to a nice stretch of road and let her do what she was meant to do... Put big silly grin's on the ol' face... It melts the day's crap away and give's you that good ol feeling that everything is still OK.

Imagine not havin' the ability to do that for 5/6 months... Spring comes WAY TOO LATE!

Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.