Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Chevelle stolen 5 years ago and was wondering where the best place to go online to try and search for it by the VIN number!:(

·
Premium Member
19,939 Posts
Any law enforcement office can run it for official business. No place that you can access on line will have a record of it being registered that I know of. Some states will for a fee but only records for that state.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was really hoping there was a national data base for this kind of thing but I guess if I took it to the sheriffs dept they might run it for me?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I had my Chevelle stolen 5 years ago and was wondering where the best place to go online to try and search for it by the VIN number!:(
Sorry to say but it's most likely long been chopped or retagged with one of those readily available "collector VIN tags and titles" on ebay or craigslist. It may have ended up in a shipping container and sold.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,410 Posts
:cool: The VIN of a stolen vehicle is entered into an international computerized database at the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) called the Interstate Identification Index (III). If someone attempted to register your Chevelle (with a forged Certificate of Title) the transaction would result in a "hit" in the system. Of course, no system is mistake proof (there is/was a stolen Chevelle listed on this site wherein the VIN is incorrect -- that's not to say the cops screwed up... just that data entry mistakes happen).

Sadly, most of our cars are worth far more as parts than they are as a whole. Very few stolen vehicles are re-VINed -- the paper trail is too easy to follow back to the perpetrators(s).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts