Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine listed his 4 wheeler on craigslist and someone purchased it with counterfeit cash. $100 dollar bills that looked ledgit and passed the ink test. They were actually 5s converted to 100s. Guy was real cleancut and believeable. Came after dark and called with a restricted cell #. My buddy is now out 5 grand and a 08 Sportsman. Homeowners insurance would not cover. Which seems like a crock as it was stolen! He turned in the cash to local police that turned it in to feds. Very unlikely that it will ever be recovered. So when doing your cash dealings keep a eye on your Cash!

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
4,994 Posts
what part of the country are you in? I feel sorry for your buddy:beers:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small town Iowa, Area where a mans word is good! :noway: Insurance would of covered it if it was stolen from his yard but not in this case :confused: Thats what he gets for trying to do the right thing I guess!

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Craigslist is full of scammers, buyers and some sellers. I've got my elky listed and the only offers I've had were from scammers.

·
Registered
14,708 Posts
when I sold my trailer, guy came over with 11 100 dollar bills. I do concessions at the u of a part time. We dont even take 100 dollar bills anymore. As we talked etc. I pulled each bill checked it in the light for the strip inside the bill. They all came up clean. But the guy thought I was nuts. jim

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
When selling anything under a thousand dollars make them give you a US Postal money order, they can only purchase it with cash. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Damn. That really sucks. Sorry to hear about your friends loss. I would still report it to the police maybe they can still put it on NCIC.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Dont be suprised if you get the truck back, secret service takes that stuff pretty serious... Who knows he might be dumb enough to try and register it.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
When selling anything under a thousand dollars make them give you a US Postal money order, they can only purchase it with cash. :thumbsup:
Good point. I would still report the four wheeler as being stolen. Also, when you sell to someone. Make sure you get the license plate of the vehicle that the buyer arrived in. Or if they make more then one trip and in a seperate vehicle. Get both license plate #s. Never sell something to someone when your alone, always have someone with you just in case. When can also help remember or jot down the numbers just in case, descretely.

Dont be suprised if you get the truck back, secret service takes that stuff pretty serious... Who knows he might be dumb enough to try and register it.
Um, what truck? The post is referencing a four wheeler.:confused:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
4-wheeler was around a long time before the ATV market.
4-wheeler to me says 4x4 pick-up or Jeep type vehicle (might be a geography thing too).
Don't know when the ATV market started using the term ----might be when the
3-wheelers were "outlawed".

But I knew what he meant:D

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Good point. I would still report the four wheeler as being stolen. Also, when you sell to someone. Make sure you get the license plate of the vehicle that the buyer arrived in. Or if they make more then one trip and in a seperate vehicle. Get both license plate #s. Never sell something to someone when your alone, always have someone with you just in case. When can also help remember or jot down the numbers just in case, descretely.
what Chris said:yes:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well, whatever it is , a quad or bike or ?? won't some one need to register it at some point? would the Department of Motor Vehicles be of any help? As you say, it was stolen. Here in California everything has to be registered to be used, even dirtbikes. Seems some one might be receiving stolen property.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, Vin # has been turned into DMV and IF someone tries to register it it will should show up as stolen. If ATV has not been stripped and sold for parts it will be long gone. It is not a requirement to register it if you use it for home, farm work etc. The only time it is required is for state ATV parks and trails etc.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Some very bold people. I can not imagine any one doing this to some one face to face. he must feel fairly certain he won't see you again.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Good point. If he is dealing with this conterfiet money. He will try it again and eventually get caught.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts