Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 Chevelle Malibu Landau Coupe w/ a sunroof. I have yet to see another '80 with a sunroof, so I'm thinking it aint factory. However, I bought this car from the daughter of the orig. owner, after he died, and the crappy paint he'd had put on (after some accident no doubt) had covered the sunroof, so I'm thinkin he didn't have it installed after purchase. I'm wondering f this was a factory option, or could have been a dealer option for the late models. I've yet to find the build sheet, but I do have the dealer order card for 25 1980 2-door malibu's in 1979... without any special options listed (stroke of luck... I found it in the trunk) Can any of you tell me whether this was a factory option on the '80 models?

Thanks!!!

Cam

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know if this will help you much, but I know a friend of mine had an '82 Monte Carlo (Sister car to the 'Bu) with a factory power sunroof. This could show that they were at least installed on this line of car....is a possibility yours is factory.

Good luck!

------------------
Nick
Proud owner of a 66 Malibu -
355, four speed, 3.08 pegleg

14.94 @ 93.75 (Needs work, I know)

<A HREF="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~amcarthu" TARGET=_blank>
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House</A>

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ditto that. Seen a 86 Regal with factory power sunroof and leather seats!

------------------
1969 Caprice (It's not an Impala darnit!)
427/M-20 Finally!
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105

1966 Caprice
396/325 TH-400
15.38 @ 97.4

Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

·
Registered
348 Posts
I believe that all those factory sunroofs were power, that's a "rule of thumb" way to tell if it's factory.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... Mine isn't power, it's just one of those with a clasp at the back so you can open only the back of it up about 2 inches.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Looking in the '80 Malibu brochure it doesn't list any sunroof at all, although the '78 brochure lists the Power Sky Roof (which reduces headroom slightly). The Monte Carlos listed that plus the removable T-roof panels. Neither of these options were cheap. At the same time there were many places that could install those flip-up type sunroofs for considerably less (do it yourself for considerably less still). Yours sounds aftermarket. Don't feel bad, they were very common.
It's funny, but while looking up the answer for this question in the '80 Malibu brochure I saw the Malibu Classic Landau in the brochure is a 1979 model. How did that get past the airbrush department?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.