Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys this post is not meant to stir things up ( actually isn't that why these posts are here?) but I am really trying to decide whether to go big or to go small. The easiest way I can think of in determining this, is to get some opinions and some info from the guys with it all. Anyway, I wanted to find out what the difference in performance was between The stock 350 4bbl of 1969 and the stock BB of 69 were. For example what was the difference in 1/4, trap speed, 0-60. etc. etc. Thanks all in advance.

------------------
69 Post

JOHN
1969 Chevelle

www.geocities.com/w_surfer99/index.html

www.celdivision.com Art For The Big Boys!

·
Registered
88 Posts
a big block can do everything a small block can, only a LOT easier. Go with a L88 427! That is the best way to get some stares when you open that hood.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 Malibu El Camino w/327 (now 355) Turbo 350, Factory Options: PB, PS, PW, Cruise Control, A/C, Gauge Package,12 bolt rearend
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
My El Camino at Fuddrucker's 11/10/01
[/list]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Gold Founding Member
1,488 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gene Chas:
John, who cares, a 69 post car deserves a 427...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Gene, and you have a spare laying around?

------------------
Bob

My 69 Malibu

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've got big and small block cars, but always preferred the big block stuff. If building, you can build a big block for not substantially more money and the same time as a small block. There are a lot of good running small blocks, but there's nothing like the WOW factor of the big block when you pop the hood. There are still tons of 454's around and a few mild parts make em hard to outrun with a small block unless you start getting serious with one, and torque is what you really feel in the seat of the pants on a street car anyway, which again gives the vote to the BB.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You got that right! I own a 454 and everytime I open the hood to check the oil or whatever, I can count on at least 10 minutes of "Ohh's and Ahh's." But remember, there are a LOT more options and kits running around for the ole' bowtie SB. It is lighter, and can, given enough funds, outperform a BB. But hey, the BB has that "UMPH!" quality to it that the SB just never gets.

Small blocks are a dime a dozen round here, supercharged, dual quad, fuelie, NOS. But every now and then the Big Blocks show up and put the little boys and their toys back in the toybox!

427 or 454 for that puppy. Or, if the wallet can handle it, ZZ502 Rat

[This message has been edited by blazingchevelle (edited 12-15-2001).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Boduke,
When you buy your Torque Thrust rims make sure you get 6 for the rear tire quick change in your garage. I'm averaging 3 weeks out of a pair now. I had the old style torque thrust rims and bought 6 Stockton wheel rims and that extra pair sure saves time.

------------------
69 Z-502
Giving the Younger guys a bad reputation one pair of tires at a time, Maybe even on Christmas Day if the roads are dry.
www.mobiletools1.com

[This message has been edited by mobiletools (edited 12-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
An L88 huh, man you better be prepared to run alot of gear, like 4.56s at minimum! They dont torque well, just spin to 7200.

Find a 454 block, 396/427 crank, and heads to fit your intended rpm range ( typically ovals). I think if you scrounge the parts, you can do a rat pretty inexpensively.

The king of inexpensive rats is Mr.4 speed. He's building a flat top, closed chamber 454, and I wont tell you his total cost, but its damn impressive. There is little chance that an sbc of the same dollar outlay would be as much fun!
Not to say sbc are slugs, no way.

------------------
Member #62 Gold/ACES 03112
67 SS396(427-3X2)
Be Big, Be a Builder

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Dude,
I've heard of an article in a 1968 Motor Trend, in which a 325hp 327, out accelerated a 325hp 396. I don't have it so I can't answer for gear ratios, or transmissions used.
But owning both, I say get the big block if you can. A Big Block is something special, small blocks are everywhere.
My velle has got to be 500 to 600lbs more than my vette, and the velle will eat the vette easy, no contest.
Both are good, but Big is Better.
Come over to the "Dark Side" you won't be sorry.
Edit: Ever wonder why Big Block Corvettes are worth so much more than small block ones ?
Cause their worth it.
Had the chance to drive a 69 427(390hp) 4 sp vette in August. Awesome ! Great Car.
Now all I gotta do is win the lottery.
------------------
They say I'm crazy, but I have a good time.
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/thads68.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 SS-396</A>
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/68vette.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 Corvette</A>

[This message has been edited by Thad (edited 12-16-2001).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pardon me for continuing this thread.
I noticed when CHP did the BB vrs SB article, the item that was most dissimilar was the head. The BB valves are larger, the lift is higher and the ratio of the rocker is higher,1.5 vrs 1.7. My question is why hasn't and what if a company comes out with similar specs in a small block head ???

·
Registered
321 Posts
You can only have so much valve on a small block due to the size ot the cylinders. As far as lift and whatnot, without the rest of the parts its worthless. If the heads don't flow, only sooo much lift can help. Thats the other big difference between big and small block (besides size) Big block heads flow like no other, some small block heads flow, but with a big block its alot easier. PS too much lift can be valve+piston=PITA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.