Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the stock oil pressure sending unit from my old "396" and the stock 69 SS gauge result in a "pegged" gauge on my "502".

I believe the high volume and higer pressure of the oil pump used is just that much higer that the "stock" one from a 325 HP 396.

Is there a different sending unit that would allow the gauge to act more like it should?

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'm a little hesitate on coming up with an idea. Maybe my thinking is wrong but I have not heard that putting in a higher volume oil pump changes the gage readings. Maybe I'll just read and learn something.
I could make that gage read anything I wanted to and that's why I'm not saying how. To me, something seems wrong. If no one else has a good answer maybe discuss this with some gage people. Oil gages are sort of important. www.american-classic.com

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The Delco sending unit for a 69 is a 80Psi sender and has 80 stamped on one of the flat sides right above the threads. If it has a lower number like 60 than it has been changed. Not much help but something to check unless you are sure it is the right one.

Rene

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no clue as to whether it is the right one! I didn't know they were marked for the pressure. That will make this a lot more simple th figure out. The Gauge shows no pressure until the motor is started so I beleive the gauge is okay. I just think the sending unit is one that has too low of a pressure rating.

Thanks!

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
28 Posts
It may not be a bad idea to hook up a manual oil pressure guage to rule out any mechanical problems with the motor. Leave it hooked up so you can get a cold pressure reading and a reading at idle when it reachs operating temprature. It will rule out a stuck pressure regulator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had this problem when I did a V8 swap in my s10, but it was because the sender was for an idiot light instead of a gauge. Could that be it? I think the gauge sending unit is somewhat large compared to the idiot light one which has a top about the size of a quarter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts