Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 SS 396, 4 speed with Hooker headers, stock pipes and small Thrush turbo mufflers. Its way too loud - can't hear the radio or talk and it needs to be replaced. I'm restoring the car, so the headers will be replaced with stock exhaust manifolds that were extrude honed. I'd like to run a 2 1/2" mandrel bent system with Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 series mufflers(some rumble but not too loud). Any opinions on the mufflers and does anyone know of a 2 1/2" mandrel bent system that will bolt up to the stock exhaust manifolds. I'm new to Team Chevelle so any help would be appreciated. The only shop in the area that would do mandrel bending no longer does custom work. Thanks in advance for you help. Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is someone that does make a mandrel header back system. The name just does'nt come to me right now! Comes with mandrel tailpipes and the front pipes. All you need to do is buy 1 45 degree bend and 1 90. Get your local muffler shop to flare them for the donute and your away.Weld them on and go. By the way, who did your manifolds?
Peter

[This message has been edited by COPO PETE (edited 11-01-2001).]

·
Registered
543 Posts
I put a flowmaster kit that I bought from Summit, think "force II". My 70 SS396 has the stock manifolds. It is mandrel bent and has crossover pipes. Here's the thing, it came with the flowmaster "big block" mufflers; yes they do fit but they are really too big (long).
Anyway the exhaust is pretty quiet (until you stand on it)

·
Registered
296 Posts
If it's too loud, your too old.
Just kidding.
I haven't gotten that far in my project yet, but I have a chambered exhaust system for my car which is supposed to have been made like the originals available in '69. Supposed to be pretty loud and aggressive sounding.

10 years ago or so, I was able to get pipes from the local muffler shop which were mass produced. At that time, they were still an in-stock item. Too bad you didn't live close to me, I'd let you have the pipes that are on my car. They look new, and bolted up to the stock manifolds. Too quiet for me.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have an original stock Vintage exhaust system off of a 1970 SS Chevelle for sale.It has all the original characteristics showing.It's the real deal.Just depends on how correct you want your resto to be.Email me if interested.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just put the Flowmasters on my 66. 50 series Flowmasters with 2 1/2 pipes and the stock manifolds.At first I thought it might be alittel to quiet but after driving it a couple of times I would not want it any louder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.