Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lifetime Founding Member
765 Posts
Tony,

I'm not sure of a part # for the offset/high torque stock, but you can always tell the difference between the two by a spacer located between the lower solenoid connection and the actual motor feed wire.
This is because the armatures were longer in the higher torque starters.
Hope this info helps
Sean

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I don't have a number but my 85 1/2 ton truck with a 305 came from the factory with a high torque mini starter for the big fly wheel. A reman is twice the price of the standard size.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My buddy has used the Summit Racing (1-800-230-3030) Part #SUM-G1665 on a couple of 168 tooth application with good success. ($119.99) It now comes with the extra long 2 bolts you need to install. Advertised as 25% more torque. This is a full size starter that fits 168 tooth ring gear and staggered mounting pattern. I am going to put one on my 70 this spring.

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

[This message has been edited by Mytmouse (edited 03-24-2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just went through this a few weeks ago.
I checked the net at all of the most popular places (Discountautoparts.com, wrenchhead.com, carparts.com, etc...) to get into the ballpark. Then I visited: Pepboys, Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA, Carquest, etc)
The part # you are looking for is 3510S.
This is the heavy duty unit with the extended housing to hold the longer armature thus making it a heavy duty unit. In doing my starter research, I so desired to get the one with the elusive cast iron nose, only to find out from multiple sources that they came on manual trans vehicles only. Two friends who race use this unit. Both are running 12.5:1 and 14:1 big blocks - sick!!!!
I bought mine at Advance Auto - with a life time warranty for @$35. Advance has the best looking unit with all new hardware. I did not like the Pepboys starter appearance - sloppy.
Hope this helps
Ron

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you want the best, AC Delco #323-485 is what you want. Comes factory on full size vans with a 350 or 305, I looked mine up as a '95 2500 series van. Very small and light. I think you'll be pleased. The 3510 series starters are the big ones, tough but big. Camaros and 4.3L S-10's also come with smaller starters and will interchange. Of coarse there are different part numbers for each one. At Advance Auto, the Ac-Delco that I have in my car(#323-485) runs $181.95, plus $35 core charge.

[This message has been edited by IGOTTA71 (edited 03-24-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.