Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stock dip stick with Moroso 6 qt. oil pan

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  70 Elky 
#1 ·
I just installed a Moroso 6qt pan... the stock dip stick should still be accurate, shouldn't it????
You just want the oil X amount below the crank, right?
Any suggestions on how to calibrate the stick for the correct oil level? Is there a standard "level" ?
Phil

#2 ·
As long as the pan isn't shallower than stock, I beleive you'll be alright. Yeah, you're measuring from the top down and don't want to drown the crank. Bryan

#4 ·
Actually, measure the point at which the dipstick enters the pan, to the pan rail. Do this with both the Moroso and the stock pan. They should be the same. If they are, no matter how much oil capacity the new pan has, it'll be below the "high" level on the dipstick, and thus be accurate. If there is a slight difference, let's say, the new pan has a higher mounting location by 1/4", myself, I'd trim 1/4" off of the dipstick tube, to lower the dipstick to it's former location, as far as it's original height to the pan rail.

#5 ·
Hold up, that last post is for big blocks. Smallblocks don't apply, due to the dipstick being in the block itself. You never mentioned which one it is, but I'm suspecting it's a smallblock, due to your other post on breaking in a 355. Correct? Darren

#6 ·
On both blocks, the oil level you are checking is the top of the oil level below the crank.
An extra capacity oil pan holds more oil much lower in the pan than the dipstick goes, (usually wider at the bottom) hence, the level where the dipstick reads should always be the same regardless of how many quarts the pan holds.

Sean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.