Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed a 70 SS454 clone build from a rust-free 70 Malibu 307 automatic-on-the-column car a couple of years ago. It is a first class frame off body restoration to look like an original car on the exterior and interior, with a complete new powertrain, driveline and suspension. The only original parts are the body (other than changing the hood to Cowl Induction) and the frame. I built it with a GM 572 crate engine and 4L85e transmission, thinking that I would want an auto in this car (while my classic and late model Mustangs are all 4, 5 and 6 speeds). However, I just don't find the Chevelle fun to drive with the auto, and I want to convert it to a T56 Magnum.

I've read many of the posts on this forum about T56 conversions, and its clear that I need to install a larger transmission tunnel. I don't have a problem doing that, but its not clear to me whether I can end up with the stock center console (converted for a manual shifter) looking good sitting on a higher tunnel. If anyone has accomplished this, I would sure appreciate some good photos, looking at the sides of the console, to see if it looks like a good fit. Or, what did you modify on the console to make it look like a factory fit?

I also noted in one of SS454's posts about his conversion that he had a carpet issue with the higher tunnel, and might need to have a custom front carpet made, but I don't think the solution was ever posted. That problem might be easily solvable by cutting the carpet at the top of the tunnel to spread it, and having a piece sewn in to close the opening, but if anyone has dealt with this issue, would like to hear how you did it. I'm trying to keep the interior looking as stock as possible.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts