Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a source for the plastic connectors that GM used on the ignition switch, headlight switch and the half moon connector on the steering column? I'm doing a Painless deal and its a pain to blend part of the stock stuff to their system
I tried Ron Francis, nada.

Oh, it's a 67 by the way

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Headlight switch connector is sort of universal. Used all the way through the 70s. Can latch one to one of those but the wire colors may vary slightly. The other connectors are a 60s thing. Don't have any laying around at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
15,881 Posts
Try the guys that make reproduction wiring harnesses. I once convinced them to sell me a reproduction fuse panel without a harness attached. They grumbled about it (they'd prefer to sell an entire harness) but they did so eventually. I ended up buying engine and front & rear light harnesses so they got my business either way.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried that, complete stone wall. I just cut the old ones off the stock harness, it's a pain to push all the old wire out and locate the new pins. I can't deal with hard heads like those guys, imagine if somebody needed the front nut for a muncie and I told them they had to buy the whole trans. Same thing.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The saga continues, the pins are locked on both sides and it takes a tool that slides down in a small notch and pushes the side of the connector in and releases it. Well, the tool cost $24 and for a one time deal :eek: :eek:

So I went to CVS and bought a pair of stainless tweasers, a little grinding and thinning, tool for $6. Now all I need to do I find the new pins

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Try here http://www.midwayautosupply.com/carpartslookup.asp

Hows this,go to autozone.com and look up part number 30806 its a painless wiring kit ,(GM Conversion Kit All the plugs for your GM steering column in one kit. Contains two ignition plugs, two turn signal plugs and one dimmer switch plug.
)

Or number 30805 it has (GM Steering Column & Dimmer Switch Pigtail Kit Original factory plugs to replace worn out or damaged connectors for GM steering columns. GM color-coded wires are ready to plug and splice into your existing harness. Includes: two keyed ignition switch pigtails, one turn signal pigtail with two connectors; one dimmer switch pigtail.)

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I Love the name of the product. You are the first feed back I have read about what’s required to install a painless system. I used M&H harnesses. I'm sure it cost a little more but they use all original plugs and they will modify for HEI or electric choke est.

I have a ignition SW & headlight SW if you need them. Steering columb is a mess let me know. I can cut them off. My car is a 1964.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen that kit, the connector on the 67 is a smaller half moon shaped deal. I talked to the folks at Painless and they don't make the connector for the early car. I'll just use the one I got with new pins and all new wire. Thanks for the info.

I have found some interesting stuff while on the hunt for wiring goodies, that sprial wrap that many vendors sell for outrageous money can be had in 100 foot spools for cheap.

And so it goes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts