Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a web page anyone knows about that shows 1/4 mile times for Stock chevelles??? I'm just curious to see how fast my 69 SS396 was when it came out of the factory. Also I think it would be interesting to figure out how drastically gears affect the overall performance of the car going down the track.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The info on the previously mentioned web site seems pretty accurate. These cars certainly had the horse power but stock bias ply tires didn't help the ET's. The March 1998 issue of Muscle Car Review compared 60 stock muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's as to the 1/4 mile times. The 69 SS 396/325hp had a best time of 14.82 - 94.26 mph.

I also have a bone stock 69 SS 396/325hp, I have never taken it to a 1/4 mile track, I'd say the time mentioned above is probably in the immediate ball park.

In another issue of Muscle Car Review, they did a 69 Chevy COPO Chevelle, Camaro, Nova shoot out with bias ply tires and with BF Goodrich drag radials. The best time for the 427 Chevelle with bias ply was 13.137. They did not test the Chevelle with race radials due to a mechanical problem, but the Camaro and Nove improved their times by approximately 1/2 second with race radials.

Phil

·
Registered
286 Posts
Woj:

That is Peter Simpson's COPO Chevelle you are referring to. He has numerous COPO cars (Novas, Camaros, Chevelles) and deals mainly with Canadian COPO cars.

In '98 at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Races, his Chevelle ran a best ET of [email protected], and was the quickest Chevrolet there, and was the third quickest car overall.

At this year's event, he was running similar high 12-low 13 second times. And believe me when I say that his cars are STOCK! After the 1st round of the shootout, he noticed that the nuts on the sway bar had backed off just a tad, so they tightened them back down. Not many racers there would have done that, as it would have helped out the Wide Ovals by adding a little wieght transfer! His cars are restored back to the original specs, just as they were when they left the factory. The COPO Chevelles are LEGIT 12 second cars, straight from the factory.

------------------
Rob Clary
'70 LS-6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold Member #85
Interested in COPOs, Yenkos or other dealer built muscle cars then go here: www.yenko.net

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Rob,

You are right, I looked at that article again and Peter Simpson was named as the owner. Those are some very choice COPO cars.

My brother had a 69 Chevelle SS (28 years ago), that he put a 427/425hp in and it ran in the twelves with only a few small adjustments.

Phil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rob, you're right those cars are STOCK. But they are intensely and immaculately honed, adjusted, and optimized for maximal performance by guys who know what they are doing and know how to drive them. They represent the extreme of what a pure stock musclecar can do. To beat Pete Simpson's 12.895 with my not-very-stock 454 is a goal of mine. Regarding the Pure Stock MuscleCar Shootout, most of the Chevelles and other cars ran in the high 13's through 15's. Note the fastest Ford.... what a pity!

I agree with Woj... a stock SS396 will do about high-14's at 90-95 mph on radial street tires and with an experienced driver, 15's for a less experienced driver. I remember reading somewhere that a LS-6 454 (450 HP) right off the showroom floor would run in the mid-13's.

Regarding the gears...good question. I know that it helped me when I changed my 3.31's to 3.73s, but I also added a posi unit which was probably much more important. Wish I could quote you real numbers....

[This message has been edited by Doc Willis (edited 10-19-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.