Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll install a HEI this week as soon as the feed wire gets here (I had of enough parts chasing for a while). I've already disconnected the fuse block and removed the resistor wire for practice.

The car is a 70 Monte Carlo with no big stereo or electric fuel pump. The current alternator has an external voltage regulator. Don't know the amp rating.

Can I just swap the feed wires, remove the wire to the R-terminal of the starter solenoid, and let it eat, or is there something else that needs consideration?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you are removing the resistor wire there’s no need to move the fuse block. The resistor wire is in the engine harness. The harness gets unplugged from the engine side. 72 has a bolt holding the 2 halves (inner and outer connector) together. Assume the same on the 70.
I would just tape back the yellow wire for the moment. Wait until you have everything running. No need to change the alternator.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I misphrased that that part about the fuse block. I'm not fluent in electrical things. I took the hex screw out from the driver's side and pulled the thing with all the wires in it from the firewall, and closed the slotted spade (?) from the backside and pulled the connector/wire out. I tried to loosen the connector from the outside, but didn't have any luck, and having never done it before didn't want to break it. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yeah, know what you mean. I get the names all wrong most of the time. When you had the whole thing loose did you see a bolt between the two connectors, (engine and lamp) on the engine side of things?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't see much. It was below the PB booster and one of the brake lines was nearly if not touching some of the wires.

I just loosened the 3/8" hex head screw, pulled the thing out and set it on the master cylinder, and fiddled around with the resistor wire until it came out.

I didn't do anything from the inside of the car.

I guess the 3/8" hex screw is the bolt you mentioned. I didn't look too hard at any of the other connections.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Cool, we're taking about the same thing. You unplugged the external bulkhead connector from the inside bulkhead connector. That's the way to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts