Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody notice the Chevrolet 8-track in the ad at www.chevelles.com/years/70/options.html look closely. Is this a special cassette for the picture are were they stock on 8-track player equipped cars? Does anyone have one of these 8-tracks and what is the music selectin like? What is an original 8-track like that worth?

Just wondering

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
GM had a promo 8-track tape that came with the units, after all, if you were test driving it or buying you had to have something to listen to.
As for tunes - seems to me Lorne Green belted out a tune or two for my year (67), that, coupled with the fact that 8-tracks ATE tapes means that the supply is pretty limited.... still, I wouldn't mind a copy - just because. There is a girl who works at a gas station I fill up at in another town who has the 45 rpm record of Paul Revere and the Raiders doing a promo tune for 67 Chevelles. She might part with it someday, although I don't really know what I would actually DO with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Al
With the interest in car songs (see post that is very long) mybe there could be a section with MP3's to down load. These could be limited to just car songs and not just a song that blurts chevy one time ect. I understand that these take up some band width ( I don't know what I am talking about, just hear that they do). Songs like the one your gas station girl has could be recorded with a MP3 recorder or "Ripper" as they call them and posted for all to download and listen to. The legal things about this I hear can be a bit sticky but the old promo songs and such may not have any of these legal issues. Just a thought,as if you already don't have enough to already. Thanks for a great site it's lots of fun to come here. This site is the best thing to happen since big blocks and super sports.

[This message has been edited by Joe Harrison (edited 11-17-98).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Shawn;

I've got to start this with the fact that I'm 46 years old.

8 track tape players were for "8 track cartridges" and were not called cassettes.

Cassettes have two spools and the tape goes from one to the other.

The cartridges had an endless tape in them and the tape was pulled from the inside of the spool and then wound back around the outside. Flexing and bending the tape beyond reason. Tensioning of the tape was ALWAYS a problem. The tapes didn't last very long!!!!

There were also 4 track tape players. They had the same tape width. Common sense would tell you that the sound was better, but how would you know with the speakers and amplifiers that were available back then. (not that uncommon to steal a bunch of drive-in speakers and use them)

You could go real far back, and there were record (vinyl) players that mounted on the floor. I've seen them, but never seen one work.

The only 8 track cartridges that I've seen here (California) that are new are Mexican music.

Personally, I'd love to have an old floor mount 4 track and a bunch of Beach Boys tapes.

(CD's last almost forever)

Wes. (get off the soap box) Vann

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
I still have my old Artisan 8 track by Automatic Radio of Canada. I also have a box full of the old 8 track tapes Beach Boys, Ventures, B.J. Thomas, Tom Jones etc. All the popular singers and groups were on 8 track. There seem to be lots of tapes at yard sales and flea markets in my area. Due to lack of demand and reliability they are pretty cheap. My radio also had an AM radio cartridge that installed in place of the tape and Voila a radio. The nearest FM station was about 100 miles away and had long hair music so FM was never a consideration. A neighbours '69 GTO has the factory 8 track and it mounts over the front of the console. He has apparently been offered good money for the unit and speakers.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
I found an old Delco 8 track at a flea market and am planning on putting it into a '72. Does anybody know how to identify these old radios as to what car they were intended for ? The local flea markets seem to have people selling old 8 track tapes, but the selection is pretty scary: Freddy Fender's Christmas Party, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.