Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone. After fixing the starter problem I decided to upgrade the eletronic ignition. I removed the antique Stinger I ignition box and wired in a Mallory Hifire 6al. Now it won't start. The Mallory instructions list two ways to wire it. one is if it a magnetic pickup and one if it a magnitic breakerless distributor. Not knowing which I have I wired it both ways, still won't start. I tried doing a search on Stinger ignitions but nothing came up. This was originally a points distributor but was converted. Is anyone familiar with the Stinger ignition? Is the pickup part of the Stinger system? I'm thinking perhaps I need to change the distributor pick up to work with the Mallory box. Any ideas?
Thanks, Patrick

·
Registered
859 Posts
Unless you are running funny fuel, or have extremely high compression or running in excess of 6500 rpms....run an upgraded HEI. There will be no difference in performance with all the fancy smancy expensive ig boxes.

If you need a smaller footprint ignition try to look up Ignitionman over at http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/ for a reliable and inexpensive solution.

------------------
Steve Jack
-Concept One Pulleys and Brackets
-Marketing Technologies Limited
-Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" technical column author/originator

·
Registered
213 Posts
Patrick, I remember some of the Stinger stuff. It was made by Hays. If your distributor has at least two wires coming out of it, it has a magnetic pickup conversion in there. If there's only one wire it's most likely still just plain-old points. You probably should be able to easily see which one is in there with the distributor cap off.
If you determine that you have a magnetic pickup, wire it according to the instuctions for a magnetic pickup. Your ignition won't work if you have it wired for both at the same time. Your grounding the magnetic pickup circuit to the ignition module (Hi6?) and that means no spark.
I think you have eveything you need to get it running just fine, you just need to get it wired correctly.

Good luck,

Louie

[This message has been edited by LouieHammel (edited 10-29-2002).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Louie
When I said I wired it both ways I did not mean at the same time. It is not a points distributor now. It has a magnetic pickup and I have sence found out it is a Chrysler setup. I wired it for a Chrysler but still won't fire. I talked with a local expert and he said the pickup must be too weak to fire the box. He talked me into bringing it to him and he will put a MSD magnitic pickup in and rebuild the distributor for $135. This is not a cheap fix but he seems to know his stuff. Thanks for your help. Patrick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts