Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the 72 running this evening. But I have a question concerning the Purple wire that goes to the starter. There is a 90 degree plug that has 2 purple wires (big wires, underneath the dash) that appear they should go the the neutral safety switch but there isn't a place for it to plug into. So what I did just to get the car running was to wire the purple and the purple with white strip together. This activated the ignition switch. Where does this plug go to???? The car has a console. Does it go to the console harness??

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
If you have an automatic the neutral safety switch would have been on top of the steering column near the firewall. If you have manual trans there would have been a switch attached to the clutch linkage.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you have a console the neutral safety switch is in the console. Was the console factory or add on? The console extension harness plugs into the neutral safety plug (purple/purple-wht stripe), the backup plug (green and pink wires I think) and the light connector (grey, black, orange, white wires). If you car orginally came with a console you will have the light connector if not you will have to splice into the harness for the dash lights (grey, black) and courtesy light (orange, white) wires.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
"If you have a console the neutral safety switch is in the console."

Steve sorry just so you will know.

On 72s the switches, neutral safety and back up lights, are not on the console shifter. This is because of the seat belt warning circuit. Which also has switch contacts in the column mounted switch. The seat belt warning buzzer/light does it's thing only after shifting out of park. This if course is assuming it is a factory installed console.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the car is a factory console... So the purple/purple w/white stripe goes to the switch in the console?? The harness that I'm using is a homemade jobber (someone else made) so I really don't know for sure.... There is a switch on the column (neutral safety??) next to the firewall that I have the green and pink wire going too.... Is this correct??

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Should be it. The green and pink are for the back-up lights and also attach to the neutral safety switch.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
"So the purple/purple w/white stripe goes to the switch in the console??"

From the factory the 72 neutral safety switch (ppl & ppl/wh wires) along with the backup switch (pink & ltgreen wires) and the seat belt warning switch (pink & pink/wh wires) all connected to a column mounted switch even with the console mounted auto floor shift. Linkage from the trans connected to the steering column to operate the switch and it also locked the trans in park when column was locked, key removed.

On your car it is entirely possible that someone has altered the factory configuration. If you have wiring to the console and a switch on the shifter you can use it.

On 68 - 71 the floor shift auto has factory wiring to the console and a switch mounted on the floor shifter. 69 - 71 as with 72 has the linkage from the trans to the column that locked the trans in park.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like someone has change the neutral safety switch on the column.. It's only got a single plug in.... I would like to say thanks for eveyone's help... This is the best Chevelle web sight in the world, with the best people in the world... Can't say enought good about Chevelles.com.... Thanks
Mike Cooley
Wichita Ks.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Mike

Will you answer some questions?

Is this the switch you have on your column?

What trans do you have?

Do you have a seat belt warning light?

The switch pictured is used on manual trans floor shift applications. It operates the back up light only. I have not been able to determine from the 72 assembly manual if this switch was used on 72's or if a two switch , back up and seatbelt light warning, assembly was used. I have yet to see a two switch unit for BU and SBW lights.

Your help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, that is the switch that I have... My car has a turbo 400... Why would they use that switch on an auto car?? Yes I do have the seat belt warning light in the dash. Sorry it took so long to respond. I'm not on the computer on a daily basis... Thanks for your help..

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have heard that some 72s came without the seat belt warning. Thought you might have one.

Is it possible that your car came from the factory with a 4-speed?

Could be that the car came with a column shift. When the console and floor shifter was added the column was changed out to get rid of the column shift lever. The replacement column came from a floor shift manual trans car.

I know that switch is hard to locate if you don’t need it could be another Team Chevelle member or nonmember would want it.

BTW Your response time was just fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got 80 percent of the interior out of the car now and I don't think it was ever a 4 speed car, every things looks too original.. I wish it was a 4 speed car.... I do think it's an SS car though... Someone might have changed the column at one time. Who knows....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts