Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the other day about my Elky's dash and head lights flickering while driving, not on and off...just dim to brite. The motor was trying to cut out on me also. Well today i put the altenator from the Chevelle on it with the reg. also (motor is out of the Velle). Started it up...same thing. Lights flickered tach twitching a little at idle. Car revved up fine. Then after about a minute or two...it just sputtered and shut off as if the carb was out of gas. I think I have TWO problems here.....huh??? Well anyway, I am thinking that if i disconnect the altenator all together and start the car, it might not flicker. Any Ideas???
I am going over the carb also...either that or put the Holley on from the Velle just to see if it trys to shut off with a different carb (rule out one problem).
Thanx
Brian

[This message has been edited by CHELKAMINO (edited 01-24-2003).]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get yourself a Digital Volt Meter and verify the voltage at the battery when running and with engine off. This will tell you right away if there is a charging problem. You can see the voltage in .01 increments. That's accurate enough for any automobile. Dennymac

------------------
Dennymac
'69 Elky Rebuild in process
dennymac.com

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
This doesn't really sond to me like a charging problem

Sounds like your lights (which shouldn't require the ignition to be on) and the ignition circuits are both involved I'd concentrate first on the power wire coming into your fusebox. A loose or bad wire there would produce both those symptoms.

Not sure about a 72, but if the fuse panel power lead originates at the starter solenoid, (connected to the large post, usually behind the battery cable), I'd check there first. That terminal end takes a lot of abuse during starter changes.

------------------
Rod

67 396
SS clone
Daddy's Red Car

"If everything seems to be headed your way, ..you should probably consider getting back on your side of the road"

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I fixed it. I first moved one of the ground cables to the block & frame. Tried a different carb (650 Holley)......ran good. Went over the other carb(600 Holley...the one I took off). Had a bad o-ring on the primary needle and seat. Replaced it...put it back on. Ran great till I stood on it. Started to slow down to turn into my development....tach went nuts...tried to stall. Got it into my driveway, sat there and idled....then just sputtered and shut off. This time it would not re-start at all!!!! Pushed it into the garage. Test light out checking power. NO SPARK!!!! Moved my main wire that powers my MSD box, just to check it. Tried starting it...VROOOMMMMM!!!!! Rewired it...so far so good. Will try it tomorrow on a cold start. Light flickering is gone also!!!!
Brian

------------------
71 Chevelle
http://photo.starblvd.net/~CHELK/2-3-4.jpg
72 El Camino(71 front) <A HREF="http://photo.starblvd.net/~CHELK/2-1-1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://photo.starblvd.net/~CHELK/2-1-1.jpg
</A>

[This message has been edited by CHELKAMINO (edited 01-25-2003).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts