Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting blow by for awhile not, but just now got time to do anything about it (welded in baffles), well anyway I'm still getting blow-by. Ideas? New valve covers maybe?

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
you and I may be in the say boat.

What are the syptoms? just oily plugs?

in my other trhad someone suggested that my PVC was introducing the oil into the AF mixture and that restricting it's flow would help out. I don't think this is it. I think it is lack of PCV flow-age at WOT and the crank crase pressure that insues is blowing by the rings.

My motor is very new too.

I want to get about 5 new plugs and just start doing some trial and error. each time with a new #2 plug.

I too have baffles. One side is PCV to base of carb . Other side is K&N breather. Oil will trickle down from it's base after driving the car hard. hince my suspisions of crank case pressure being high.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.2 @ 86.8mph
1/4: 12.7 @ 107.8mph (1.93 sixty foot)
--have pulled a 1.85 sixty foot (before street tires or course).
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's exactly it. I changed the plugs not too long ago, weren't oily... but I'll definitely check that out when I get time. I don't have a PVC system, but still theres oil getting into the breathers and running out onto the headers, valve covers and anything else hot. The motor SHOULD have good compression, but as someone suggested I'll be doing a compression test soon. I'm leaning to bad baffle design... because my old El Camino had almost the exact same setup, and I never had this problem. I ran the cheap valve covers that come with baffles in them... now I have 'good' valve covers and had to weld my own baffles in... might be making a run to Advance Auto in a while to pick up a set of $20 valve covers, they might not look as good, but at least my car won't smoke like a hoopty.

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.