Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
66 chevelle SS

The problem I have is the straps for the fuel tank.

the straps have two ends, on with a bolt hole and one that is folded into a body slot.

the end that folds into a slot is bent and goes into 1 of 2 slots in the body.

the two slots in the body are near the rear end.

I tried to fit it in thru one and out the other, but the strap would then be upside down. so it looks like it fits into one of the two body slots.

I just can't figure out how without bending the strap or removing the bumper, unless there is a special holder that goes into the second body slot.

anyone ever deal with this?

Thanks, KarlJay

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so now I'm more confused...

I found this link:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-12204.html

and it says the strap goes thru BOTH slots.

the only way I could do this is to either turn the straps upside down, or re-bend the straps to the other direction.

the straps I have a u shaped and have a bend as if they came into one slot only from the front of the car bending towards the rear of the car.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I just installed a new tank on my '65 today, with new straps, newbolts. It was a pain. The 'hook' end installs into the forward slot and the end will point towards the rear of the car. There is extra metal at the end so it will be strong and resest bending. I did not see that mine actually exited the rear slot - it didnt look like there was enough length to do this.

The next pain in the butt was the actual bolt installation. I ended up using a longer bolt to cinch the strap tight and get all the proper bends in it. After I cinched it tight with the longer bolt, I then installed the right bolt and it fit fine. I had to do the same for the second strap.

Hope this helped.

Mike

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SHE'S IN!!

you're right! it goes IN the forward most slot, OUT the rear most slot. It does actually come out the rear most slot a bit, maybe 1/2"

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Do you have the anti-squeak material installed?
Very important point. Make sure you lay a piece of 3/4" sticky foam tape down each brace groove on the tank before securing the tank.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Ah yes.... I did not mention that. I apologize if you have to do it over... but if you DO have to re-do it, I used a thin piece of rubber both on the top of the tank where the body has the 'ribs' located and on the brace grooves across the bottom.

Not hard to install later if you do one at a time....

Mike

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used some roofing tar paper on the top, should I use it on the bottom too, or should I get some thin rubber for that?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I think the sticky foam tape is a good idea... I just used some very thin rubber strip. But you do need to use something. Sorry I didn't mention that in my original response to you. I don't think I would use the roofing paper on the bottom... it does react with the elements. THe reason you don't see it reacting with the elements normally is that it is covered with roofing.

Mike

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,194 Posts
I believe that it came from the factory without any material between the bottom straps and the tank. You don't want to use anything that will collect moisture there. I see some of the straps available today are stainless and some galvanized steel. If you use rubber, cut it so that it does not overlap the strap. Stainless bolts, washers, & nuts for the back attachments are available also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts