Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hurst 4-speed shifter is not smooth. It takes a little force to go through the gears. I was in another car w/ a Hurst and it moved smooth enongh to shift w/ one finger. It has been like this since I bought it. Yes, I already replaced the bushings. Does it just need more adjustment? Also the arms bolt on insted of those weird clips i've seen.Please help.

------------------
For clarification, this shifter was never in another car, I just used the other car as an example on how I think mine should be, but its not.

[This message has been edited by bigyellow (edited 07-04-99).]

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
This sounds like a really old shifter or possibly one that was special made to be factory delivered on a new car. Hurst does offer a rebuilding service, which I have never used. You may want to call Hurst (Mr. Gasket Co.) and inquire. Without having the shifter to examine it, it is hard to say what is wrong with it.

------------------

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
Yellow,
If the shifter was working properly in the other vehicle, then it sounds like something must be in a bind on the new vehicle. Take the shift rods loose from the shifter and see if that frees it up, if so either the rods are in a bind, or something is not adjusted properly, OR something is wrong with the trans.
I used to take an oil can and squirt a couple of good shots of oil on mine about once a month when I was racing it, that kept it working real nice, but if yours was ok in one car and now is not, sounds like the problem is not in the shifter.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,005 Posts
I had one like this in my 70 GTO, dinked around with it a lot, no help. Turned out the clutch wasn't releasing cleanly because the disc was a little warped. Put a clutch in it, adjusted it properly and bingo, perfect shifter.

How much free play do you have in your pedal? Do you have to mash it all the way into the carpet to get a clean shift from neutral into reverse?

Other than that, binding rods or dirty/dry mechanism are the leading suspects.

Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I messed w/ it some more and found my nylon bushing was torn. So I put in an old metal one and then couldn't get the arm back on??? I found the 3-4 arm was hitting the floor pan. The nylon bushing was flexing enough to let the arm move. So, tomorrow i'll whip out the ol' hammer and see if that cures it.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.