Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 70 seems to not want to return to normal idle sometimes and I am assuming it is the accelerator cable. I looked at the cable end that connects to the carb and it is kind of limp. Wires dont seem to be frayed but I am just wondering if I should replace this. Is it an easy job? Where and how much for a new cable? Is there an adjustment to the cable? Thanks for all tips and suggestions!

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

[This message has been edited by 70Chevelle 350 (edited 11-09-99).]

·
Registered
777 Posts
One thing you might want to check is your return spring. Had the same problem with my '70 and it turned out to be the return spring was not nearly strong enough. If it turns out to the be the cable, you can get one from our sponsor Ground Up, or Ausley's for about $20. They are easy to replace just take your time.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The exposed end of the cable coming off of the carb can be pushed in a downard position with my finger. Should this have more tension than that? The spring you are referring to is about 5" long, thin gauge wire? Thanks...

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

·
Registered
777 Posts
The cable is not a rigid cable and is flexible. If it was "hanging down" I would be concerned, but if you need to push it down, I think it's fine. But remember, I'm not looking at it as you are.
As for the spring, how thin is it? My spring was WAY too thin and allowed for a great deal of "sideways" play when I moved it side to side. Replacing this with a slightly thicker gauge might do the trick. Local parts store should be able to help you.
You might also consider a little lithium grease applied into the throttle cable housing. Just to cover all bases.

------------------
Team Chevelle #400

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does this occur only when you first start it cold, or does it happen all the time? I'd suspect the return spring if it happened everytime you started it. If it only happens during a "cold" start, it may just be the car warming up on fast idle. Mine does that if its kinda cool in the mornings. I just let it warm up and rev it to about 2500 RPMs and it kicks back down to regular idle. No prob. Good luck!

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle #298
www.chevelles.com/showroom/72CHEVELLE1.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the carb seems to be sticking all of the time. I will try the new spring and see how she does. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just don't go too much on tension for that spring, otherwise you will feel like you are driving a TRUCK. Been there, done that...changed the spring.

------------------
Team Chevelle #400

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help! I bought a packet of throttle springs and found out what you meant by truck, Riffers. I eventually found a good match in the assortment. No more sticking. Much thanks!

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

[This message has been edited by 70Chevelle 350 (edited 11-10-99).]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Great! Glad it worked, always nice to have a repair for less than $10!!

Thank you for replying and letting us know how it went and what you did.

------------------
Team Chevelle #400

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.