Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 El Camino steering column for my 1970 El Camino. Will the curved wiring connector hook up and match between these model years? Anything I need to know about making the ignition work? Thanks.

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold
1968 Chevelle
1970 El Camino (in progress!)

[This message has been edited by SSuper Dave (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Dave;

Hopefully somebody with a simple answer will jump in here! If nobody does, here is my recommendations.

I've done column swaps in the past and it's always a questionable process! (I put a 73 Monte Carlo tilt column in my 64 2 door Chevelle wagon, NOT EASY!!) Even if you get the factory wiring diagrams for both years, they will not show what happens within the column it's self.

If you can get that section of the wiring loom, from the car that was the source of the column, you could verify the colors of the wiring against your current car. That would good indication that it's a simple "go".

Other than that, just give it a try and see what happens.

If you tend to get "spooked" doing this (and I do!), I'd recommend that you remove the positive battery cable and wire in a 30 amp fuse for testing purposes. Once everything has been checked out ok, hook the battery up again.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Too spooky for me.
The 69 takes the same turn switch indicator as the 70. Should be a direct plug-in.
Dave
A suggestion. Along with the assembly manuals you have, when money allows, pick up a copy of the Haynes manual for the Chevelles. Contains both wiring diagrams. I have used it quite a bit over the years as a quick reference. $15.00 at the chain stores.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John and Wes. Good idea about the Haynes manual too. I've had them for other cars that I've owned, but since I have the service manuals and assy manuals for my Chevelles, I never thought of it.

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold
1968 Chevelle
1970 El Camino (in progress!)

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I agree that the rounded connector sounds like an earlier piece, believe 67 and older, but then the column would be completely different. Maybe different GM makes used the rounded connector longer. Normally the commonly used wires are the same color between years, and you should be able to put the wires of the old column into the 70 plastic connector. Newer columns sometimes have extra wires, but with the older stuff you should be in good shape. You will need a skinny pointed tool to release the locking pins on each wire to remove them from the plastic connector, just write everything down so you get the wires back in the correct slots. Not all slots are used, so make note of that also. I can email you the wiring layout of the 70 if you need it, as far as what color wire is for what function.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts