Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have a subwoofer(s) in their truck? I put a 10" sub in a sealed enclosure and my dang trunk rattles really bad
. It sucks, because I can hardly hear the bass...just the stupid trunk rattling
. I just put new trunk weatherstripping on a few months ago. Don't know what to do other than pull the sub out and forget about it. Any ideas?

I know you're saying "why even bother with a stereo?" I just wanted to add some bass for better sound. It's great rolling up and people see the factory AM radio still in the dash,
. Everything is outta site

Well, thanks for any tips to get rid of the rattling trunk.

------------------
1971 Chevelle
1994 Impala SS
1996 Schwinn when both are torn apart :)
The Silver Bullet
"If you don't have extra parts after a rebuild..you did it wrong"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, I have 3 12" subwoofers in my trunk, and have eliminated most all rattles. Your main culprit is the Trunk Lid. The thing to use is a high temp mastic such as Dynamat. You apply the stuff to the metal and it helps to deaden it. Applying this to the trunk lid will help alot, as well as any other flat panels.
Another thing to do is to put a piece of weatherstripping on the back of your license plate so it doesnt rattle against the bumper.

Tim

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
First of all, TimG is right, the rattle is comming from the trunk lid. Dynamat or a clone is a good product to use.

Another thought is to take some of that spray foam insulation and spray it inside the trunk lid.

------------------
Joe Yoder
BADBU68
LSE Motivated

·
Registered
184 Posts
i have two 12"s in the trunk of my mustang. pioneer aluminum cone, 500 watts each. powered by a 2 channel 1000 watt amp. hits damn hard. dont rattle much though. good luck

------------------
70 El Camino SS 396
3.73 with a 12 bolt

will post pics soon

·
Registered
222 Posts
2 Kenwood Epsilon DB+ subs in the back of mine, in a sealed enclosure. I get most of my rattle from the rear windshield mouldings.
If you can pinpoint a certain spot that's rattling, you can pry it apart just a small bit with a screwdriver, and squeeze a small spot of RTV in there. Let it harden a little, and remove the screwdriver.

I'd be really cautious if using spray foam, that stuff can exert some really strong pressure when it starts to expand, and I'd hate to see it deform any of your body panels.

I love these old cars, you can crank the heck out of it, and the thick metal absorbs so much that it's hardly noticeable from the outside.

------------------
70 Impala Sport Coupe (350)
67 Chevelle (I wish, still looking and saving)
http://www.geocities.com/ledsled_26m

·
Registered
561 Posts
2 mtx 5000 12s in a bandpass box in my trunk and it rattles pretty bad but i dont hear it inside so i dont care.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies. I did a further analysis of the rattle. It looks like the truck has two parts to it..an inner which is attached to the outer (much like the hood). Well, the inner part is loose and rattling against the outer. Just the rumble of the engine alone at idle makes it rattle.

Is there some way to snuff up this inner piece? I really don't want to lose the originally of the truck as it is in very good shape. Will foam insulation spayed in the joints of the inner and outer pieces help the situation? Is this safe, or will it deform the outer deck lid like ledsled is eluding to? Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

------------------
1971 Chevelle
1994 Impala SS
1996 Schwinn when both are torn apart :)
The Silver Bullet
"If you don't have extra parts after a rebuild..you did it wrong"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Before trying the foam solution, I would try and get some Dynamat. To Help the inner skin from rattleing with the outer, you need to slide a layer or 2 of the stuff between the skins.
The problem with the expanding foam is that there is a chance of warping the outer metal. There is not alot of room between the two skins where they meet for the foam to escape when it expands, this causes the outer skin to bulge.
I would play it safe and by a roll of dynamat first.

Tim

·
Registered
166 Posts
You can buy it at any car stereo store.

In San Jose, you can get it at Z auto sound, ams car stereo. In fact summit sells the stuff.
If you want to buy alot of it, get a generic version from http://www.mcmaster.com/. It is called Hi-Temp Mastic. Search for it, this is the same exact thing as dynamat, just without the label. It is MUCH cheaper.

Tim

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have the same problem with 2 JL 12's in my trunk. it used to be alot worse because the rear shelf with my 6x9s would rattle REALLY bad. I fixing that and now i cant hear a rattle in the car, but outside it sounds horrible.

I had once thought about the foam, but i remembered from a science project that the stuff even warped the coffee can i sprayed it into.

Tim

------------------
70 Chevelle My Ride

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.