Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, whaaatsup? got a 68 convert. that needs some tunes any suggestions? what can i use for rear speakers? placement? sub? t.i.a. wildbill

·
Super Moderator
1,993 Posts
Jerry what size speakers are they? I use little Blaupunkt box speakers that sit in the corners of the rear seat in my convertible. They are kind of a pain and I would like to get some installed somewhere. I think there were some factory 6x9 rear speakers in the lower armrest below the rear ashtrays facing the center. Has anyone ever seen these on a 68 to 72 convertible?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Ditto Jerry, are those 5 1/4 or 6 1/2s in the back, and do you have a depth issue with the top mechanism?

Thanks!

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Sid Coleman (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have not seen the rear speakers in the armrest myself. My 69 had two 6x9's mounted behind the seat from the factory (8 track stereo). I replaced the old paper cones with a pair of Sony's, sound is a little muffled with the top down, but it works fine for me.

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hello;

Am I correct in assuming the speakers in Jerry's car are not factory?

My 68 has speakers in about the same location which were there when I got it. They are 5 1/4's. There are also 6x9 mounting locations behind the rear seat which face somewhat backwards and they will be muffled when the top is down.

I think 5 1/4's 2-ways or seperates in the panels beside the rear seat and a sub in the trunk would work well. The sound wouldn't be muffled by the top. Front speakers would even make it better.

Peter

Peter

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sorry for the delay,

Yes, they are 5 1/4 and they are not original. They were in there current location when I purchased the car. I must say, they do fit perfect. There is about 1/2 - 3/4 inch clearence from the mechanism, so no problems...I don't even know if they work. Right now the original AM radio is in the car. I believe the guy took out "his stereo" and put the AM back in. It still needs to be wired up. The speaker wires are already ran up under the dash, so......

------------------
JR TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

[This message has been edited by jerryr (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.