Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an alpine deck harness wired in my chevelle. My friend is giving me a better sony Xplode deck. Do they make harness adapters so i can just plug the alpine harness into an adapter and into the sony deck rather then rewiring the WHOLE harness?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Good question for the engineers at Sony. Suspect they didn't care about previous set-ups.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, did some calling around. Turns out they do not make those types of adapters. The only thing i got goin for me is that the wire colors are all the same on the two harnesses :rolleyes: ...guess its time to stretch and get under the dash.....again

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
When I put in stereo's in customer's cars with harness adaptors I crimp on fully insulated male and female bullet connectors this way if the customer gets a different car I put on new bullet connectors on the new harness and I can unplug the old one and plug in the new one. I also put on the bullet connectors on cars that someone else has cut off the factory ends just to make it more of a plug in setup and not have to sit in the car or get under the dash trying to crimp wires together and it just makes it quicker to do with the ends already crimped onto the wires.
Put the female bullets on the radio's speaker outputs and female bullets on the wires going to the battery, ignition, and illumination and then put on male bullets on the wires going to the speakers and male bullets on the power, ignition, and illumination wires going to the radio. This way helps reduce the chances of damage should a wire become unplugged and touch the metal dash.
Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another option is to wire the factory harness receptacle from a newer car(i.e. 1995 Chevy Pickup) into your Chevelle. (You would need a color coded wiring diagram for this harness). This way you can tell Crutchfield or whoever you need an install kit for a 1995 Chevy Pickup. They will sell you the connector kit for the harness in your car. This is the kit for the 1995 Chevy Pickup

Then all you have to do is wire the connector kit to the radio (at your workbench) then slide in the radio and simply plug in the 1995 Chevy Pickup connector into the 1995 Chevy Pickup harness. Bullet Connectors are a good idea for any wiring you may want to change easily in the future.

Just an idea. I'm going to try it when I get around to putting a radio in my project.
-BL

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, looks like i'll be going w/ the bullet connectors. I'm just going to get the harness from a stereo shop and install the deck specific harness w/ no adapters. I figure i have to wire up a harness anyway, and the bullet connectors will make it just as easy as an adapter if i ever change again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts