Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have plans on redoing a stereo dash for my '70. Currently the car has a mono dash. My question is this: Has anybody had any experience with aftermarket speakers that would mount in the factory positions? I only have a 35w CD player, so it's not like I'm blowing out windows or anything. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Premium Member
6,912 Posts
For my GMC Sprint, I just bought a pair of speakers from National Parts Depot that had the brackets in place for a stereo dash. They are 4" round with some heavy magnets and were about $30. I haven't hooked them up yet. They will not work with an SS dash.

For my '70 SS convertible, I bought 4x6 speakers from Radio Shack and modified the mounting brackets. The magnets were larger, necessitating modification to the bracket. That driver's side speaker is a tight fit.

I hope this helps.

------------------
See you at Chevell-abration!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The correct size for a stereo speaker is 4x6, but spare yourself the pain and don't get them from Radio Shack. Get them from a real car audio place, or from crutchfield.

Their web site is http://www.crutchfield.com

I almost blew the window out of my 71 Malibu. Instead, I blew the bottom of the trunk out, cause it was so rotted...

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Premium Member
6,912 Posts
To Havoc:
What speakers did you get for your stereo dash and what type of modifications did you have to do to the brackets to make them fit? Would it fit in an SS dash?

PS. Crutchfield's web page didn't facilitate a '70 Chevelle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Go to your local car audio store and tell them what you are trying to do. My original '70 SS396 with stereo dash has Kenwood speakers front and rear with the stock speaker grills in the back. The front brackets have to be modified. But once the dash pad is back on, it looks all stock.
Mitchell

·
Registered
3 Posts
are you saying you have the mono spkr dash and are putting in a new dash with stereo cutouts? i misread your post at first i thought you were putting in the "stereo" speaker that fits in the monoplace. i was debating that as i didn't want to trash the original dash. i have to go outside to look and see if there are stereo cutouts but i don't think so.

------------------

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, Crutchfield doesn't have anything for chevelles, but trust me, 4x6's will fit, as long as they aren't too deep. crutchfield should privide you with those spec. I took a set of blown original speakers and hacked them up for the brackets and use a few wire ties here and there and everything worked fine, they sound great. if you can, try and separate the front and back of the speaker for much better low frequency response. JBL makes a set of speakers that crutchfield has for like $50 that should do the job and sound great.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of your replies. I will start my poking around this weekend. 70with283, the dash I'm re-doing is not an SS dash, it is a malibu dash with speaker holes (bunch of tiny ones at each end of the dash, they look like the mono dash just in stereo)

This should be interesting...

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.